Currently reading
10gbe OWC connection dropping

NAS
DS215J
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi ya'll! I've got some issues with my 1621+ and I think there is no better place to be asking than here.
I'd love to get some help please.

I've got an iMac (2017, i7, 32GB Ram) connected via thunderbolt 3 (UCBC) to an OWC 10gbe to USB-c adapter. (This boy).
The OWC is connected via CAT6 kabel (approx) 7 meters to my Synology 1621+. Initial setup was easy and the only thing I had
to was to set the Jumbo Frames to 9000.

Everything went fine. Write speed about 600MB/s and Read speed about 1000 MB/s. This is an editors dream ;).
BUT... The connection to the syno randomly stops. I don't understand why.. When my Mac falls to sleep/go's to
lock screen the connection does drop and when doing some video/photo editing is randomly loses connection.

I've set up via SMB.

Help, does anyone know what I did wrong? Do I mis a setting that keeps my connection stable?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Ferdi

ps: I hope I got my story well written down in English since I am not a native.

NAS
DS620slim, DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Nice setup, bit jealous to be honest:)
My first reaction is: Mac issue, but that is only based on experience, not on actual facts.
SMB with the Mac has been hit and miss in the various releases. What MacOs is running?

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hmmm. Since you have isolated this to losing connection with sleep, I'd ask OWC support for help.

Does the OWC Thunderbolt converter require its own drivers?

What does the System Information app show for the device when you are properly connected and when it loses the connection?

NAS
DS215J
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Nice setup, bit jealous to be honest:)
My first reaction is: Mac issue, but that is only based on experience, not on actual facts.
SMB with the Mac has been hit and miss in the various releases. What MacOs is running?
Thanks @EAZ1964 . I'm running Big Sur 11.4. Perhaps I can look around on the apple Forums to see what the problem could be. But in my opinion Apple pushes users to smb: so that would be save to choose aint it?

@Seaprobe It needs drivers on Windows. I have been looking for firmware updates on the OWC website but I couldn't find any. Thanks for the System info tip. I will be monitoring that and get back to you guys.

At both: thanks for your tips!

NAS
DS1821+ DS1511+ DS712+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Have you setup using a NFS connection? Can you try using NFS and test how stable your connect is?

NAS
DS215J
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
@jiming I have tried to setup NFS. But it didn't quite work for me.
As off now it happend again. My computer go's to lock screen and the connection
fails. I hope I will find the right setting to prevent this from happening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.