17 days to add a new drive?

Currently reading
17 days to add a new drive?

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Hi!

I'm still new to synology, but I just recently added a second drive (Where first I had only 1), and added it to increase my storage pool. Now it's telling me it's "adding drives" and it will take 22 days to do so. Did I do something wrong? Or is it dividing all the files across both drives so that it looks like 1 drive even though it's mixed over 2 drives?

That does not sound normal. Adding another 16TB on top of 16TB in a RAID1/SHR-1 setup should normally rebuild and complete in 24-36 hrs. In a RAID0/JBOD setup even faster…

agree. Is the 720+ still under warranty?
Yes, it's about 1-2 months old. You really think something is wrong with it?

It seems like the time has updated to a more reasonable 1 day 15 hours.
1657909950416.png

It will be fine. Just give it a few days time and the counter will adjust itself.
What is it doing exactly? Will I see a 32tb volume at the end of it? Does it fill up both drives equally to postpone having one drive filled up completely as long nas possible? That would seem like the most likely to me as a full drive works slower than an empty-er drive, right?

What is it doing exactly? Will I see a 32tb volume at the end of it? Does it fill up both drives equally to postpone having one drive filled up completely as long nas possible? That would seem like the most likely to me as a full drive works slower than an empty-er drive, right?
Depends on your initial raid configuration and what you choose to do.

So if you are running with shr setup you will end up with same storage space but will have one drive redundancy in case if any of the drives dies.

Depends on your initial raid configuration and what you choose to do.

So if you are running with shr setup you will end up with same storage space but will have one drive redundancy in case if any of the drives dies.
That's what it's setup with right now, but I don't want that. I want it to extend my storage so that I have 32TB storage rather than 16TB as I'm running out of room.

1657954832527.png

I tried changing RAID type, but it's greyed out. I assume I'll have to wait for it to "add the drive"?

No, you will have to destroy it and start over. RAID change is possible in certain scenarios but not the one you want. You want RAID0 or JBOD array, and going from SHR to those is not possible without you 1st destroying the volume and starting fresh.
that sucks, how do I best go about doing that then?
Because I'm assuming my 2nd hard drive can be erased, then perhaps set that one up as RAID0 and then add the 1st hard drive?

that sucks, how do I best go about doing that then?
Because I'm assuming my 2nd hard drive can be erased, then perhaps set that one up as RAID0 and then add the 1st hard drive?
You will 1st have to wait for this process to complete. Then just use the Storage manager and delete the volume (ofc backup anything you dont want to lose regarding data). After that, start the process of creating a new volume, and follow the wizard. For RAID0 you will have to select both drives at the same time in order for the system to create the volume, no shortcuts.

You will 1st have to wait for this process to complete. Then just use the Storage manager and delete the volume (ofc backup anything you dont want to lose regarding data). After that, start the process of creating a new volume, and follow the wizard. For RAID0 you will have to select both drives at the same time in order for the system to create the volume, no shortcuts.
So that means I need to find a 3rd drive, to store the 10TB I already have stored on the volume I need to delete?

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks thanks for helping! (Again) 😊
-- post merged: --

Follow up question though,
Say I buy an external 12TB HDD, use it to back up the entire Toshiba, then format both toshiba's currently in my Synology, make them Raid0, then transfer all the files from the external HDD to the new RAID0 volume, what will happen to all my services such as Synology Photo's, iDrive, Time Machine, ... will everything just work again, or will I have to setup everything from scratch?

Hi!

I'm still new to synology, but I just recently added a second drive (Where first I had only 1), and added it to increase my storage pool. Now it's telling me it's "adding drives" and it will take 22 days to do so. Did I do something wrong? Or is it dividing all the files across both drives so that it looks like 1 drive even though it's mixed over 2 drives?
For what it's worth, it took my initial storage pool creation quite an extended period of time as well. The reason? I was "lucky" enough that the repurposed drives that I decided to build my storage pool with on my first go around just happened to have 1 bad drive out of the bunch that was basically failing once it started getting used in my NAS. It started throwing sector errors like mad when my Synology was working it. Have a look at your drive health (via Storage Manager) once all is said and done and confirm your drives are both free and clear of errors. For what it's worth...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.