18TB Seagate Drive in DS1817+Only Seeing 10TB in Windows mapping ?

Currently reading
18TB Seagate Drive in DS1817+Only Seeing 10TB in Windows mapping ?

NAS
DS1817+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Help required - Have 2 x 18TB Seagate iron wolf pro drives in a DS 1817+ they are setup as a Raid 1, within the synology unit it knows it as a 18TB but see's it as a 16TB, however when I map the drive in Windows 10 and 7 Pro computers, it only see's it as a 10TB Drive. Any ideas why this has occurred ? Also have in the other bays 16TB drives as raid 1 and they appear as 16tb when mapped in windows. Hope someone has a solution.

I think the main problem here is the fact that he is not seeing 16+TB on that RAID1 setup but rather 10TB.

@ICSTech can you send a screen of your Storage manager pool and volume for the 2x18TB setup in question?
Hi Rusty, you are correct, will get a screen shot when I can, as unit is off site. Synology sees drive as a 16TB, but when mapping the Raid 1 Drive in Windows to the Synology unit for unexplained reasons it sees it as a 10TB, will be in touch when I can obtain screen shots.
-- post merged: --

You do realize that an 18 TB drive has 16.37 TB of usable capacity? A 2x18 TB RAID1 will have just under 16 TB available capacity after the OS and swap partitions are created.
Hi Telos, please refer reply I gave to Rusty, as this partly explains my issue, more info to come soon. Thanks.

Have now removed the Raid 1 Seagate 18TB Drives, rebooted computer and Synology unit with Missing drives, shut it down again re-installed 18TB Drives and reconfigured Raid 1 setup, all now appears to work ok, does not see the entire 18TB, but at least I get 16.37TB being recognized, so all Good now. Still unknown as to why it initially only saw 10TB, when mapped from windows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.