Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
What is better? 1x 4-bay or 2x 2-bay NAS?

With 4-bay you have enough backup (+ C2 backup), but with 2x 2-bay you can use one NAS as a backup only.

Just thinking and want to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Last edited:
A 4-bay gives you more space to grow bigger than 1 disk's capacity. You'll still need to back it up.

A 2-bay that's backed up to another 2-bay then you'll have 1 disk's capacity that takes 4 disks (assuming both are SHR).

I've got 2x 2-bay and it works in that I keep main NAS's internal storage for Moments/Drive/etc and have an eSata disk for the video library. But that video library is a copy of files (which have their own back-up elsewhere) so doesn't need to be RAID supported or further backed up.

If I'd bought this again I would've gone for the 4-bay (DS918+) so everything is internal and the old 2-bay would be for H-Bup tasks with either non-RAID/RAID 0, or SHR and USB disks hanging off the 2-bay. Or something like that.

A j-series would be ok for a purely backup destination.

Plus, I'd still be using C2 for very important, divorce-inducing-if-lost files.

What is better? 1x 4-bay or 2x 2-bay NAS?
Should've added: it depends what you want to achieve :)

Hehe like your response @fredbert. I would agree, it all depends on the needs and end goal.

Personally I have 2x4 atm for main+backup scenario and c2 for another offsite location. That will all change when RS models and 718 get into play. But overall having another 2 or 4 or xy bay nas for backup is definitely my preferred choice then to use a 3rd party cloud service.

If I'd bought this again I would've gone for the 4-bay (DS918+) so everything is internal and the old 2-bay would be for H-Bup tasks with either non-RAID/RAID 0, or SHR and USB disks hanging off the 2-bay. Or something like that.

A j-series would be ok for a purely backup destination.

Plus, I'd still be using C2 for very important, divorce-inducing-if-lost files.
That's my plan now. I need to fill up my 4-bay with 3TB discs (yes, I've bought 2x 3TB, so I'll stick with 3TB, plenty of space for me) - not sure if should I leave RAID to SHR or RAID 5?

Then someday j-series for backup only, C2 is already running for most important stuff for offsite location.

Well, my primary goal is to have my personal stuff located on my own server (NAS) with a just-in-case backup scenario. So mainly for files and media + calendar and contacts on my NAS, Bitwarden. That's mostly it. Not a heavy user here...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.