DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Going to Implement an SSD for TP & LOGS.... on second 2600 before putting it on line as main 2600...
Question: Does the enclosure for the USB Sata SSD Drive reduce the interferance, (Say Metal instead of Plastic container)... or is the interferance USB Cable related?

My M.2 SSD in metal USBV3 enclosure with Metal Heat Sink does not interfere with 2.4Ghz devices....
Was going to implement Sata SSD in External plastic enclosure in a couple days....

Wondering if metal enclosure might be better approach for 2.4Ghz devices???
I do have a metal enclosure... Makes sense.... Whatta you think?
Cold go overkill and use a clip on toroid on USB cable, too!

I know you've now done this external SSD for TP etc.

I have been having some randomness with my RT2600ac following the upgrade to SRM 1.3.1. Sometimes now I find that TP is been generating lots of events and have learnt to check the firewall hit counters to see what's happening with that. I'm finding that the firewall hits are all zero, so I make a minor change (e.g. rule order for two that could be either way round) and save the policy. This has the effect of restarting the firewall, hits get counted, and TP event return to normal.

I normally catch this within a few hours. I assume NAT is still happening (allowing inbound on those forwarders) but the firewall itself is not performing the more stringent policy ... so the same sort of protection that a basic home router will provide. In TP I get lots of events because I block all the reputational based signatures, scans, as well as the rest of the default policy. So it's not as wide open for inbound connections as it would otherwise be.

After some digging all I have found are old posts on firewall stopping at The Other Place where the suggestion from Synology had related to the external storage. This may be the case, I have used a pocket drive HHD for a long time and the databases on it may have become corrupted. Anyway, I decided last week to replace it with an M2 SSD in external enclosure.

The enclosure I got was a Ugreen one that has a metal sleave and thermal heat pad to stick on the M2 SSD. Looked for a cheapish 250/256 GB M2 with quick, free delivery and opted for an Integral stick, for now I want to see how the SSD behaves and will change to something else (£££) if I have too. Following the move of the System Database and copying across folders for Log Center archives, etc., I found that the RT2600ac took quite sometime to settle its CPU usage from 98-100% to more normal 50-60%. The best thing was to close the web interface and do something else.

That was on the weekend and today it seems to be back to normal, though I will have to see if there is any change it the abnormal firewall behaviour.

I also had a spare clip-on ferrite ring so used it, a cable tidy if nothing else :)

Last edited:
Yes, your comments reminded me: seeing something since 1.3.1-1... Connected via GB Ethernet from Laptop: As I open icons, Network center, CP, etc.... It takes longer for the main folder to fully open....(AND LOAD it's default contents).
I used to immediately click from One folder toa sub selection before it fully loaded it's default location..... and had no issues.... Evident going to firewall and CP/Databases... When I quickly select a sub selection, since 1.3.1-1 it sometimes takes far longer to load that selection than before 1.3.1-1... -- OR an occasional HANG... Log back in=OK..
So, NOW: Once I open an icon... I let the first selection fully load, then select sub folder..... slower to get where I'm going, but I get there! Seeing this on both 2600's with 1.3.1-1.... Both running about 45-50% CPU and 52-55% RAM... as seen by DS ROUTER

Regarding TP, (ext USBV3 SSD-EXT4-Write Caching ON, Clip-on Ferrite Bead): not seeing as many events, but: Being new Mac Address on modem, ISP gave different IP, so that could explain that..... However, the HITS within Firewall are not decreasing.... and I have one ALLOW outbound that occurs every 40 seconds, and the device pinging on LAN only logged a few missing pings in 20,000+ attempts.... So I'm thinking firewall is good here, but will now look more frequently.....
Hope this helps, not muddy the waters....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.