Currently reading
2FA Stopped Working for Synology Account

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I recently upgraded my Synology NAS and 2 factor authentication for my Synology account was still working. I've since set a firewall rule to temporarily deny internet traffic to and from the NAS (local LAN traffic still works). Now, 2FA has stopped working and I can't access my Synology account. Nonetheles, I can still access the NAS locally. I don't know how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

I recently upgraded my Synology NAS and 2 factor authentication for my Synology account was still working. I've since set a firewall rule to temporarily deny internet traffic to and from the NAS (local LAN traffic still works). Now, 2FA has stopped working and I can't access my Synology account. Nonetheles, I can still access the NAS locally. I don't know how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
I forgot to add something. I want to be able to sign-in to my Synology Account while still denying access by any other ip address address on the internet.

I fixed the problem. Apparently, 2FA for my Synology account broke after I upgraded my NAS.

Here's the solution. I did the following in DSM:
Control panel > security > account > 2 factor authentication > personal > sign-in method > 2 factor authentication. I then followed the steps, and 2 factor authentication now works!

That solution requires installation of the Synology Secure SignIn mobile app.
I already have a 2FA app on my phone for all my other 2FA accounts. Better security is generally NOT having all one's eggs in the same basket, i.e. each factor is created & managed by a different provider.
How do I apply 2FA for my Synology NAS with my already-installed chosen 2FA app? (This worked fine before a recent update.)
[Mods: I am not "spamming", I am adding detail to the discussion.]

That solution requires installation of the Synology Secure SignIn mobile app.
I already have a 2FA app on my phone for all my other 2FA accounts. Better security is generally NOT having all one's eggs in the same basket, i.e. each factor is created & managed by a different provider.
How do I apply 2FA for my Synology NAS with my already-installed chosen 2FA app? (This worked fine before a recent update.)
[Mods: I am not "spamming", I am adding detail to the discussion.]
I have seen your post on Mastodon and responded, but I see no issues with using 3rd party 2fa platforms along with SecureSignIn. On the latest UP3, it is still possible to set it up just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.