blackvoid 3-2-1 > Active Backup

Currently reading
blackvoid 3-2-1 > Active Backup

Synology's recent addition to their collection of great apps and solutions include a new version of Active Backup for Business package.

In this article, I will reflect on the tool, how it can benefit you and see various scenarios it can be implemented in.

Let's be honest. How many times have you lost data because you didn't have a backup? Anyone who is using a computer, tablet or even a phone now days has at least something they wish to save and never lose right? With that in mind, it's usually a question of how to implement it, how much it cost and why bother with it.

Continue reading...

I am transitioning to a two user method; one for admin and one standard user. When using Active Backup on a pc, which account user account should be used on as a best practice?

I am transitioning to a two user method; one for admin and one standard user. When using Active Backup on a pc, which account user account should be used on as a best practice?
Considering that you can make any number of templates on ABB side, it will almost not matter what user account is logged into the machine. If that user has the option to trigger the backup or it’s set on a schedule, it will back either way

Considering that you can make any number of templates on ABB side, it will almost not matter what user account is logged into the machine. If that user has the option to trigger the backup or it’s set on a schedule, it will back either way

My thoughts were if an admin account is being used it would have read/write access to all shared folders/data. If the PC being backed up is hit with an encryption ransomware, can that admin account be utilized to also encrypt the data it has access to on the NAS?

My thoughts were if an admin account is being used it would have read/write access to all shared folders/data. If the PC being backed up is hit with an encryption ransomware, can that admin account be utilized to also encrypt the data it has access to on the NAS?
Unless that computer had active network shares towards the NAS there is no fear of them being encrypted

Question or what?

we do use mapped drives on the windows computers which point to a shared folder on the nas.
Therefore, if the active backup PC app is using an admin password, and the computer gets infected with ransomware, could it encrypt the backups or those mapped drives (shared folders on the nas).

we do use mapped drives on the windows computers which point to a shared folder on the nas.
Therefore, if the active backup PC app is using an admin password, and the computer gets infected with ransomware, could it encrypt the backups or those mapped drives (shared folders on the nas).
yes

what’sthe best practice regarding user accounts and an active backup or even hyper backup app. Make a backup user (standard privileges) who would on have access to the backup destination folder?
I would use it in that fashion yes. Least privileges as possible will definitely increase security.

I would use it in that fashion yes. Least privileges as possible will definitely increase security.

Thanks Rusty.

Advise if this appears to be the right track: the route I am most likely going to take. I need to change over the user account (which is my admin) on the pc workstations using active backup. I will create a standard user (backup) and then deny permissions on all shared folders except for the backup destination folder. In addition, I also deny all app as well with the exception of Allow active backup/hyper backup.

When restoring I would not anticipate any issues because I would just use my admin account.

Thanks Rusty.

Advise if this appears to be the right track: the route I am most likely going to take. I need to change over the user account (which is my admin) on the pc workstations using active backup. I will create a standard user (backup) and then deny permissions on all shared folders except for the backup destination folder. In addition, I also deny all app as well with the exception of Allow active backup/hyper backup.

When restoring I would not anticipate any issues because I would just use my admin account.
Rock solid plan m8!

@Rusty another question, I have a remote laptop that I just connected to ABB. I noticed they don't have an HTTPs port for a regular PC backup. Is it still safe to do this remote backup without HTTPs? I have enabled data transfer encryption.

@Rusty another question, I have a remote laptop that I just connected to ABB. I noticed they don't have an HTTPs port for a regular PC backup. Is it still safe to do this remote backup without HTTPs? I have enabled data transfer encryption.
By regular you mean what exactly? What method?

By regular you mean what exactly? What method?

In ABB you can do PC, physical server, file server, vm...I am doing a PC backup. Regarding the ABB client app in general, to connect it back to the NAS it appears that it uses a HTTP connection (port 5510) rather than a HTTPs connection. Does this matter considering they have a setting option for data transfer encryption? The data will be going thru the internet since its a remote laptop.

In ABB you can do PC, physical server, file server, vm...I am doing a PC backup. Regarding the ABB client app in general, to connect it back to the NAS it appears that it uses a HTTP connection (port 5510) rather than a HTTPs connection. Does this matter considering they have a setting option for data transfer encryption? The data will be going thru the internet since its a remote laptop.
No it will be encrypted, but on top of this I have set and configured it to use https without any problems. In the ABB client you can config the remote address using https and it does work. On top of this if the DSM account has 2fa it will ask for it as well so that’s an extra layer of protection.

So the default port of 5510 is capable of doing HTTPs? I thought I had tried this and it bounced back with an error. I'll have to try again once that laptop is back on.
Depends how you have abb configured. I have it running via a reverse proxy that pushes it towards abb secure port.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.