4-bay DS system - Install 4 drives at once or install as need arise ?

Currently reading
4-bay DS system - Install 4 drives at once or install as need arise ?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I am about to buy a 4 bay NAS system. Is is best practice to install all four HDD drives from the beginning or it is better to install them as needed ? It is planned to run an SHR volume.

Mostly will buy DS720+ or DS920+ models.

Solution
In SHR, as you know, 1 disk is the same space as 2 disks (= 1 disk redundancy).
So best to keep 2 disk as starting point and it is up to your space requirements add a 3rd and 4rd disk now or later.

The synology raid calculator will give you the resulting disk space: so you can play around a bit:
In SHR, as you know, 1 disk is the same space as 2 disks (= 1 disk redundancy).
So best to keep 2 disk as starting point and it is up to your space requirements add a 3rd and 4rd disk now or later.

The synology raid calculator will give you the resulting disk space: so you can play around a bit:

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.