4 bay nas with 2 partition

Currently reading
4 bay nas with 2 partition

Hi everyone :)
I would get a new sinology nas 4 bay. I already have 2 4tb disks in raid1 that are currently working in another qnap nas that I want replace and I would get 2 other bigger disks 8+8tb; now, I don't want format the old disks because are full, it would be possible create two raid1 partition in the new nas as this scheme
raid1 4+4 tb (old disks)
raid1 8+8 tb new
and preserve the old disks in raid1?

Welcome to the forum.

it would be possible create two raid1 partition in the new nas as this scheme
raid1 4+4 tb (old disks)
raid1 8+8 tb new
and preserve the old disks in raid1?
Yes it possible to have 2 separate pools/volumes in that config. But, you will not be able to preserve data coming from a qnap setup. You can make a new volume with 2x8, copy the data over from your current qnap setup and then migrate the drives over. Create a new raid 1 with those 2x4 drives, and again migrate the data from your 2x8 volume to your 2x4 one (if you want/need to).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.