1. Windows
Hi,

First of all my setup:

NAS: DS218+ , latest DSM, DS Video Server

TV: Samsung Q90R, Tizen, DS Video App, Plex App

Multimedia Streamer: Apple TV 4K, DS Video App, Plex App

AVR: Denon X3500H

Question:

I want to play 4K video from my NAS and I found out that my TV DS Video App performs the best with this task.

It plays various formats without any stuttering and flickering.

For some kind of a reason ATV4K has problems with the 4K HDR and frame rate when playing 4K video through AVR. Something to do with not being able to match the frame rate. I have enabled the dynamic area and frame rate match from ATV but still I can see a short stop in the playback.

I would like to use my ATV for playing the 4K video but Q90R performs better.

So, Is there a way to change my settings so I could watch 4K video from my ATV?

Secondly, how can I change the size of subtitles when using DS Video. DS Video App on my TV has only Medium and Large options and they are huge. Can I change them to smaller size?

TIA

Replied here Synology Community

I'm guessing the AVR is only in the equation when using the ATV, so you should test without the AVR: i.e. direct connection of ATV to TV.

If you get get a 4K video file that you know conforms to the ATV 4K spec then test with that. You could use Handbrake to create the file from a one of your 4K videos.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the NAS, TV, ATV 4K or the AVR were not the issue. I installed Infuse 6 Pro for the ATV 4K and all works perfectly! It's a paid app but 12€ / year is not much for perfect playback. Recommend strongly.

Erm, that would imply it was the ATV 4K's problem. The player is in ATV, DS video on ATV has the problem and Infuse on ATV doesn't have the problem.

DS video is connecting to Video Station whereas Infuse is connecting to DLNA or SMB (or other service). Is it caching in DS video and it can't keep up?

Good to know about Infuse as I've not thought about this for years when they did the jailbreak of 1st and 2nd gen. ATV.

Should I get round to replacing my TV, and also get 4K content, then I'm going to be interested in what to use with my DS218+, ATV 4K, and Denon AVR-X2400H.

Erm, that would imply it was the ATV 4K's problem. The player is in ATV, DS video on ATV has the problem and Infuse on ATV doesn't have the problem.

DS video is connecting to Video Station whereas Infuse is connecting to DLNA or SMB (or other service). Is it caching in DS video and it can't keep up?

Good to know about Infuse as I've not thought about this for years when they did the jailbreak of 1st and 2nd gen. ATV.

Should I get round to replacing my TV, and also get 4K content, then I'm going to be interested in what to use with my DS218+, ATV 4K, and Denon AVR-X2400H.

That may be the case. It's simply better without any additional server between.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back