5 to 6 vs. 6 to 7?

Currently reading
5 to 6 vs. 6 to 7?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
For those who lived through the migration from DSM 5 to 6, how does it compare to the 6 to 7 move?

Ease of migration.
Users confidence and enthusiasm.
Bugs encountered.
Gained (or lost) features—was it a bigger jump (features and improvements) from 5 to 6?
And of course, how “streamlined” was it? 🤣

I came directly to 6 and I'm curious what was it like compared to where we're now.

Thanks

That jump was like the second coming of Jesus. Glad it happened as DSM 5 was really..."wrong"... but it did prepare the ground for DSM6 so all in not bad, but just wrong.

Upgrade was fine with no problems (major ones), and there were benefits as a few interesting apps were introduced. Nothing major, but I would say, 5 > 6 was a bigger thing than 6 > 7. Still, saying that, 7 is a marathon, not a sprint, so I still think that DSM 7 overall will be the best DSM version to date, just maybe not right now.

I can't say I really remember DSM 5 much being that DSM 6 was release quite soon after I got my first Synology NAS. I remember DSM 6's Hyper Backup was much easier to understand than Time Backup. I felt DSM 6 cleaned up DSM 5.

I guess how you feel it went between major upgrades will depend on how mature your setup is and how much you don't want to spend time (right now) to change / fix / re-learn how you use it.

Last edited:
It is said that every other release of Microsoft Windows is a mess. My experience with DSM 5, 6 and 7 suggest a similar pattern with Synology.
That’s not very encouraging. We’ll be waiting a long time for 8 😬
-- post merged: --

Here’s another question. Did it take as long as 7, development wise, for 6?
We’ve been hearing about 7 for almost two years.

I had many issues going from 5 to 6, as backup process was affected.
Going from 6 to 7 has been very smooth here. Systems running stable and no issues whatsoever. Bit annoyed on the photo side of things, but manageable.

Here’s another question. Did it take as long as 7, development wise, for 6?
You can work it out...

DSM 7: 2021-07-19
DSM 6: 2016-03-24
DSM 5: 2014-03-10
DSM 4: 2012-03-06
DSM 3: 2010-09-20
DSM 2.0.1: 2006-04-24

Going from 6 to 7 has been very smooth here. Systems running stable and no issues whatsoever. Bit annoyed on the photo side of things, but manageable.
Much as I'd like to agree with others that DSM 7 is a disaster, I find it to be perfectly ok for how I use it. Even Synology Photos is, IMNSHO, better that Moments and less onerous than Photo Station but I've only recently become less than totally lazy where photo management is concerned. Yes I want it improved: sharing albums seemed very slow to load on lower-speed connections.

You can work it out...

DSM 4: 2012-03-06
DSM 3: 2010-09-20
DSM 2.0.1: 2006-04-24

Much as I'd like to agree with others that DSM 7 is a disaster, I find it to be perfectly ok for how I use it. Even Synology Photos is, IMNSHO, better that Moments and less onerous than Photo Station but I've only recently become less than totally lazy where photo management is concerned. Yes I want it improved: sharing albums seemed very slow to load on lower-speed connections.
I find that Photos under DSM 7 is just not acceptable to me as a prosumer photographer. It doesn't even have the features from DSM 6, like customisations, etc. I'll just have to wait until it catches up with what had gone before it, before I would consider upgrading (or is it downgrading) to DSM 7 and Photos.

Wow! Very long between 6 and 7 compared to 5 to 6.

Much as I'd like to agree with others that DSM 7 is a disaster, I find it to be perfectly ok for how I use it.
I‘m still on the fence. Extra cautious I guess. Might wait for 7.1. Although it seems that version numbers don’t mean much to Synology by the way they handle their package version numbers 🤣

I find that Photos under DSM 7 is just not acceptable to me as a prosumer photographer. It doesn't even have the features from DSM 6, like customisations, etc.
Like I said, I’m a lazy photo manager: it’s horses for courses. I’m not overly interested in subject tagging or face recognition because I’m not developing a library of photo stock. Getting the photo properly ordered by date is probably my only requirement. Having a map view is nice but not vital. But an Apple TV app would be my most important improvement.

BTW if you’re only replying to part of a post you can just select that bit and a ‘reply to’ bubble will appear.

I'm another user that does not require a too advanced Photos app. It works for me to store family photos and sort them by date, maybe create an album or so. I use Drive and Docker with DSM 7 the most. And that works fine. Running also a VPN server on NAS occasionally.

The transition from 6 to 7 was very smooth on both of my NAS devices. Migration with Moments and Photos went perfectly. I also had Docker on DS418play on DSM 6, unsupported, but it was running. After updating to DSM 7 that package was removed. But ok, already got 720+ for that.

No other major complaints.

5 to 6
Smooth considering then existing and installed SW packages, roles and features. High expectations met nice deliveries. Made me more confident in a way that I picked up good NAS solution. I'll stick with this guys, let's see what they're up to next. Purchased another Syno box.
6 to 7
Smooth enough but only because good preps (including backup) and patience. This one was long overdue, quite fed up with prolongations and final new feature list. Not sure if Syno team took some staff attrition due COVID, but if not v7 feels like part of more engulfing business strategy shift.
More focus on C2, breakaway from minimum peripheral support (USB), aggressive promotion of Toshiba drives with their firmware looks like EMC's and Apple's paradigm, squeeze more with less resources. Although they did a fine move with open Beta, I find them less prone to listen to customer's feedback (let us remember why we all moved to this place, shall we ?).

Budget for new Syno box is secured, this time I'll give them a good run for the money. Competition is closing (some) gaps rapidly.
Just mine 5 cents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back