NAS Compares 6 Things You Can Do With Your NAS Other Than Backup Storage

Currently reading
NAS Compares 6 Things You Can Do With Your NAS Other Than Backup Storage

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool Things You Can Do With Your NAS other Than Backup Storage​

The main motivation for most users who purchase a new network-attached (NAS) storage device is often a means to create an alternative to Cloud services, backup several devices safely and really just to make sure that there is a mean to keep their data safe and sound, but also within reach when needed. The majority of NAS brands perform this function well and if you are looking for a NAS just to do these functions, then you will always be successful, regardless of the unit you choose. However, there is actually a huge number of things that a NAS can do and with the evolution of modern NAS hardware from brands like Synology and QNAP, most users do not even realise the cool things they can do with their system to maximize their investment or simply to have a little fun. So today I want to go through some of the best things you can do with a NAS drive that are more than just using it as a simple backup storage system. Let’s go!

netflix-alternative-nas-video-streaming.png

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Last edited:
Has this guy ever produced a useful video that did not include misinformation or wordy banality? The only post I recall that was semi useful involved memory expansion.

I'd rather see SpaceRex or WunderTech videos.

I was in two minds as to whether this was worth including on our site.

What's the view on this very generic round-up:
  • Include them, no harm's done?
  • Don't post them, it's all repeated stuff?
For What It's Worth, include them, no harm's done. I find them useful posts for beginners. Details might be out sometimes, but it performs a useful role in illustrating the breadth of utility of a NAS. When a user wants/needs a little more, then they gravitate naturally here.

6 things to keep in mind before buying your first NAS if you didn't know the Linux area and basics of data management:

1. you will probably lose that data in the NAS. Either by your own mistake, by your ignorance, or someone blocks / steals them from you. A mix of these scenarios is not excluded.

2. If your data still prevails of the external reasons, you will likely bake your discs that contain that data. Because this kind of electronics does not tolerate heat. Especially the heat in a closed cabinet, without ventilation - exactly where people often hide the NAS so that they do not hear the sound of fans.

3. disk is the thing what decide whether you will enjoy your data or you will spend time with bring it to life more often. Not every sleeping bag is suitable for any weather. In one you may be too cold, in the other, you will be unnecessarily oversized.

4. the NAS is not a miracle box that protects your data. If you pay insufficient attention to it, you will lose the data. Or the data will lose an availability in time when you need it.
You are not buying “all setup is already done” in the NAS. You are buying a semi-finished product, it’s like Lego. Many often start building a house from the roof because they forget the foundations

5. we will only realize the value of the data when we lose it.

6. cheapest does not mean the best choice. This feeling will appear a few months (weeks) after the first visit to Synoforum.com

The NAS is a complex environment.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Hyperbackup is an easy and quite robust way to have offsite backups of the NAS.
either on cloud or in the form of USB hdds

no reason for members to fly off :D

Tnx for the info but I was not referring to that.

I also was not referring to your post (except for the joke with the members),
but to the post of @jeyare
he is right, one can easily loose data if he thinks that the NAS is the end solution for his data,
but I want to say that there are easy tools to make this unlikely to happen

Last edited:
Ain't that the truth.

You obviously don't work in a government bid tendering department :D

yes, some people are unteachable

I have good relations with my CFO :)
-- post merged: --

Wow if I have read this 15y ago I wouldn’t gone for a NAS myself. Hope our members won’t start flying off ;)

When some unexperienced will read this list, just few of them will break their attitude to purchase the nice box, specially when they follow description from the Nascompares articles. It must be peanut. Simple like a new app installed into smart phone. Then just use existing social media account (FB or Insta ofc) and click Follow.
-- post merged: --

I also was not referring to your post (except for the joke with the members),
but to the post of @jeyare
he is right, one can easily loose data if he thinks that the NAS is the end solution for his data,
but I want to say that there are easy tools to make this unlikely to happen
until first incident, when the restore is needed :cool:

As a very much still learning newbie, I have to say that I'd much prefer SpaceRex and WunderTech over these posts. I watched a lot of videos by this guy until I discovered SpaceRex and WunderTech. The latter have much more informative videos that actually help me make decisions and solve problems.

Just my two cents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.