User introduction 61 Year old starting his NAS journey

Currently reading
User introduction 61 Year old starting his NAS journey

Last edited:
Quick hello to everyone

With 2 Macs and 2 iPads in the home, all full of documents, family memories, photos etc, I've realised I really need to get everything organised and backed up etc. So, I'm entering the world of Synology NAS for the first time.

I'm starting out with the DS220+ with two 4TB Seagate Ironwolf Drives that will be delivered today. Excited, nervous, and very little knowledge so far on what I can achieve so, I apologise now if I start asking lots of daft, newbie type questions. So much to learn!.

Ian

Hello Ian,
Welcome to the wonderful world of NAS. DS920 is a good choice.
I was about your age when I got my first NAS (a venerable DS213j which is still running smoothly), but since my background is in IT (40+ years experience), setting it up was a breeze, really. But... despite my extensive IT-background I still did run into some stuff I didn't know about. User forums like these are a great help.
Last year I was lucky enough to be given a DS716+II. That model, like yours, can run Docker. Now there is a whole world of fun that will open up for you.
Anyway, first things first:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have fun!

Hello Ian,
Welcome to the wonderful world of NAS. DS920 is a good choice.
I was about your age when I got my first NAS (a venerable DS213j which is still running smoothly), but since my background is in IT (40+ years experience), setting it up was a breeze, really. But... despite my extensive IT-background I still did run into some stuff I didn't know about. User forums like these are a great help.
Last year I was lucky enough to be given a DS716+II. That model, like yours, can run Docker. Now there is a whole world of fun that will open up for you.
Anyway, first things first:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have fun!

Hi John

Thank you for the vote of confidence sir and the link. I'll get there!

60+ is the new thirty 🎉☺️ so no need to apologize. And welcome to this forum ask away.
In the foreseeable future you will also become addicted to all the possibilities of your nas. 😉

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.