6600ax bad connection speeds, how about you?

Currently reading
6600ax bad connection speeds, how about you?

Are you getting better, same, or worse connection speeds with your 6600ax over your 2600ac setup?

• Better

• About the same

• Worse

Results are only viewable after voting.
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Curious if folks are seeing generally better, same, or worse connection speeds to ther devices?

So one thing that has been a big downer and down grade since replacing my Synology 2600/2200 set up, with my 6600ax (both main unit and satelite), is the consistently bad an inconsitent connection speeds. I'm currently on SRM 1.3.1 update 3 by the way.

My Mac and router are all in the exact same places as previously, but preiviously my mac (which is a mere 12' away in a straight unobstructed line) would always connect at 1300mbps to the router. Now it connects anywhere from 433mbps-650mbps (FROM 12' away!).
1671820538_uwUEN.jpg

It seems to connect to 5ghz-2 radio no matter what, which is what I suspect is the problem. As such, it's impossible to get it to connect at 1300Mbps because it just does not want to latch on to the 5Ghz-1. Weirdly ignores 5Ghz-1, despite it being close, and uninterupted line of sight, and despite both the main and satellite both being 6600ax units that both have 5Ghz-1 radio.

It's just really bad and negotiating connections compared to the 2600ac/1.2.5 set up, which seemed to always optimize the connection up to the 1300ghz radio, particularly for devices that could take advantage of it. I know I could separate the radios and give the 5Ghz-1 radio its own SSID/name, but that defeats many of my purposes and is not acceptable--particularly since it worked just great with the 2600/1.2.5 setup.

It just negotiates like poop. No matter if I force the backhaul to be 5Ghz-1 or 5Ghz-2.

I do not understand how it's so much worse considering how much of an upgrade it is supposed to be, this is a big let down. I'm praying this will be improved with software updates, but my patience is growing thin, and I may ditch synology for something else. Which is a real shame because they built up so much of a great reputation with their 2600/2200 products and performance, and the 6600 performance is destroying that good will by the day.

How about others? How is your connection speed with the 6600ax?

I do not own a 6600ax, but one thing strikes me immediately: your Mac connects on 802.11ac.
It really needs to connect via ax to get to the optimum speed.
That looks like a driver/incompatibility issue. What MacOS are you running?
Did you try to move the channel outside the DFS zone?

see my wifi connection screen on Macbook M1 ventura 13.0.1

Attachments

• MacVentura ax.jpg
    MacVentura ax.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
My Mac only has AC, but AC can connect (and did connect) at 1300Mbps. Youre right, AX would be more optimal. I have the latest Ventura 13.1. And again, this same Mac had no problem connecting at 1300Mbps with the old 2600ac router.

So one way I learned to "trick" the router is this. Have the backhaul set to 5Ghz-1, but then switch it to 5Ghz-2. While the routers re-negotiate the backhaul connection, the Mac seems to hop onto 5ghz-1 radio since it's all that is available while the synology is busy negotiating a backhaul connection on 5Ghz-2, and the mac then can latch on to the 1300Mbps connection.

The problem with this is, once the Mac reboot or turns off or goes to sleep etc., it will renegotiate and the sinology will plop it back on to the 5ghz-2 slower radio. It's really seems a function of the synology doing a very poor job of connection negotiation. Once the mac is back on the 5Ghz-2 connection, you have to change the backhaul back to 5Ghz-1, again, and then switch it back to 5Ghz-2 again. Total pain, but it tends to work.

My first (and probably last :) reaction is: why buy such an expensive ax router if you cannot use the ax :) I cannot help you with this. Hope for you somebody else can. Otherwise it would possibly help to make a support request to synology.

Last edited:
My Mac only has AC, but AC can connect (and did connect) at 1300Mbps. Youre right, AX would be more optimal. I have the latest Ventura 13.1. And again, this same Mac had no problem connecting at 1300Mbps with the old 2600ac router.

So one way I learned to "trick" the router is this. Have the backhaul set to 5Ghz-1, but then switch it to 5Ghz-2. While the routers re-negotiate the backhaul connection, the Mac seems to hop onto 5ghz-1 radio since it's all that is available while the synology is busy negotiating a backhaul connection on 5Ghz-2, and the mac then can latch on to the 1300Mbps connection.

The problem with this is, once the Mac reboot or turns off or goes to sleep etc., it will renegotiate and the sinology will plop it back on to the 5ghz-2 slower radio. It's really seems a function of the synology doing a very poor job of connection negotiation. Once the mac is back on the 5Ghz-2 connection, you have to change the backhaul back to 5Ghz-1, again, and then switch it back to 5Ghz-2 again. Total pain, but it tends to work.
has this been reported to synology?
-- post merged: --

Seeking advise from the community, I am currently running RT2600 in AP mode, ethernet meshed to MR2200 still running on SRM 1.2.5 8227 latest update. I do not use the smart connect nor the 802.11r or MU-MIMO based on experience. I am waiting until SRM 1.3.1 has more maturity with all the issues I hear with it but curious to know if there is anyone running a similar setup as I am that has upgraded and if they had success.

I do plan next year on buying the RT6600 and WRX560 and eventually meshing my existing RT2600/MR2200 (pending on success of SRM 1.3.1).

My other options since I have two extra RT2600 and MR2200 brand new never used, is simply grow my ecosystem on this product line and not bother with the 6600. I know WiFi 6 handles the traffic better than WiFi 5 but not sure if the cost of buying new synology is worth it? again feedback welcomed.

I see that you are using WPA3. I had performance problems when my RT6600AX was set to mixed WPA2/WPA3. Once I set it to only use WPA2, the performance was what I was expecting.

Maybe you can try turning off Smart Connect (if enabled) and setup all the WiFi with same SSIDs. This way the "smart" band steering should be disabled and everything is client decision.

I agree with SmoothMoon. Turn off smart connect and either name the two 5 GHz networks the same, or disable the 5-2 channel. I was having similar issues and disabled the 5-2 GHz channel, and that forced my Mac to pick up on the 5-1 channels and my speed improved. I plan on installing a second AP and meshing over the 5-2 channels, and using the 5-1 channels for all my primary devices, with 2.4 GHz for IoT devices.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.