75GB file transfer locally taking 7-8 hours

Currently reading
75GB file transfer locally taking 7-8 hours

I hope it's worth it.

Don't be disappointed that the marketed speeds for wifi are a gross exaggeration and bare no resemblance to reality.
  1. When you see these large performance claims the first point to note is that they add the frequency bands and streams that are not being used by your single client to your actual theoretical single client bandwidth - it's impossible
  2. WiFi has many addition overheads added on top of the underlying ethernet packets, so a lot of that data being transmitted or received is of no use to the client device
  3. WiFi can, per stream, only tx or rx to a single client at a time. To do this background chatting to other wifi devices (which may even be on a neighbour's network) it frequently has to stop and restart moving data to the client of interest. Same for other wifi things like beacons, additional SSIDs etc. Wifi also has to have pauses too, so no data transmitted here either, yet they only claim credit for the times when data is moving
  4. My final point is often the most forgotten and yet simplest aspect of Wifi - it is a radio that can either transmit or receive but never both. It is a simplex device like a 2-way radio, rather than a telephone. If ethernet used this same methodology (which it doesn't) a 1000 Mbps connection would be advertised as 2000 Mbps as it is a genuine duplex link. A 10 GbE connection would be listed as 20 GbE etc. So as moving data is both a transmit and receive event (due to acknowledgements and other background stuff) you can, at the very least, divide your 866 Mbps by 2 before taking away any additional disappointment
Networking is 'fun' in a non-funny way.

☕

Last edited:
Don't be disappointed that the marketed speeds for wifi are a gross exaggeration and bare no resemblance to reality.
  1. When you see these large performance claims the first point to note is that they add the frequency bands and streams that are not being used by your single client to your actual theoretical single client bandwidth - it's impossible
  2. WiFi has many addition overheads added on top of the underlying ethernet packets, so a lot of that data being transmitted or received is of no use to the client device
  3. WiFi can, per stream, only tx or rx to a single client at a time. To do this background chatting to other wifi devices (which may even be on a neighbour's network) it frequently has to stop and restart moving data to the client of interest. Same for other wifi things like beacons, additional SSIDs etc. Wifi also has to have pauses too, so no data transmitted here either, yet they only claim credit for the times when data is moving
  4. My final point is often the most forgotten and yet simplest aspect of Wifi - it is a radio that can either transmit or receive but never both. It is a simplex device like a 2-way radio, rather than a telephone. If ethernet used this same methodology (which it doesn't) a 1000 Mbps connection would be advertised as 2000 Mbps as it is a genuine duplex link. A 10 GbE connection would be listed as 20 GbE etc. So as moving data is both a transmit and receive event (due to acknowledgements and other background stuff) you can, at the very least, divide your 866 Mbps by 2 before taking away any additional disappointment
Networking is 'fun' in a non-funny way.

☕
I have upgraded, now I'm getting 50MB write 75MB read, but before doing link aggregation I got 75 write and 75 read, so I wonder why LACP slowed down my speeds?
-- post merged: --

as said, LAG will not help you in 1:1 communication atm. You will still only get 1G from your NAS side.
I have upgraded my router, now I'm getting 50MB write 75MB read, but before doing link aggregation I got 75 write and 75 read, so I wonder why LACP slowed down my speeds?
-- post merged: --

This is over WiFi now:
+80MB/s for read and write. Coming from 30/50 so I'm happy with the result!
CleanShot 2022-06-20 at 21.40.40@2x.png

I retested from my MacBook Air 2014 and placed myself optimally to get the highest connection speed (TX Rate of 867 Mbps) on my main router (minimising hops and latency.

Here's the disk speed test over wireless.
View attachment 10035

And again from the same MacBook Air but using the Thunderbolt 1 to 1GbE Ethernet dongle.
View attachment 10036

I have:
  • RT2600ac as main router to the Internet (using Virgin Media Hub 5 in bridge mode).
  • MR2200ac router in wired mesh with RT2600ac.
  • Managed 1GbE switch connecting all wired LAN devices.
    • SRM guest VLAN 1733 is mapped across the switch ports of the two routers
  • Wireless channels:
    • 2.4 GHz using widths 20 and 40 MHz.
    • 5 G GHz using widths 20, 40, and 80 MHz.
  • RT2600ac has up to 1733 Mbps on 5 GHz and 800 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. But clients connect and a max of half these. In wireless mesh the 5 GHz will be used as uplink with 5 GHz #1 of the MR2200ac.
  • MR2200ac has up to 867 Mbps on 2x 5 GHz and 400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.
You can get quite a lot of info from your Mac's Wi-Fi menubar item (alt-click it to reveal a bigger info panel). Look at the TX Rate for the maximum speed you are currently getting from your position relative to the wireless router.

And @jeyare has a good point about the composition of the 75 GB of data that you are trying to transfer. Lots of little files will bog down the speeds significantly. I forgot about that aspect and assumed you had a fairly monolithic 75 GB.
CleanShot 2022-06-20 at 21.40.40@2x.png

My speeds over Wifi now with the new router, it's much better, close to your thunderbolt even, so I think i'm gonna leave it at that. I'm happy with the double speed, it's been a lot of fumbling...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.