NAS
DS1522+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi experts,
I am about to start my NAS journey with DS1522+. I bought three WD red Pro 18TB drives but one of them was DOA and I am waiting to get a replacement (topic for another day but I never knew that WD wants you to pay for return shipping even if their drives are DOA, and if you want Advance RMA, then it's 25 extra :eek:). The latest is, after waiting for 2 weeks, I am told that they can ship a 20TB drive now as 18TB is not in stock. For now, I have setup the NAS with two 18TB drives with SHR, I have not started copying the data on it yet as I was waiting for third drive. My query is, will it be an issue if I add a 20tb drive in a few days. The raid calculator says that extra 2 tb will be "not used". Is there a way to utilize that space or I should just use it as 18tb drive. Would it cause any issues later down the road. Also, is it really a good idea to wait for the third drive for another week or more before I start copying all my data over NAS.

Thank you.

will it be an issue if I add a 20tb drive in a few days
No, it won't. DSM will incorporate it into the existing array on the fly.

Is there a way to utilize that space or I should just use it as 18tb drive
That depends on the array type in question. An SHR 2x18+20 will indeed not use the extra 2TB. The reason is that SRH with 3 drives is RAID5, meaning 2 drive capacity, and one drive for redundancy. Now, you can't have a 20TB disk in that combination as DSM will be able to recover only 18TB of data in case that 20TB drive fails. So that is the reason that 2TB will not be used. The 20TB drive will be "visible and usable" as an 18TB on.

The only way to use full space would be to even out the drives (all 20) or to use that 20TB as a separate pool/volume. Running a basic or another SHR volume with that single 20TB disk.

Also, is it really a good idea to wait for the third drive for another week or more before I start copying all my data over NAS.
Data transfer with raid expansion and rebuild will have a speed and performance penalty but other then that it is fine. So should you add the drive and then copy or should you do it at the same time, or later on, will not make 2 much of a difference. Ofc, expansion with data on it is risky as drives can fail, so if you can wait, then wait.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.