a folder under /user home/photos is not being indexed

Currently reading
a folder under /user home/photos is not being indexed

hello everyone, first time submitting a post here

Synology Photos seems to only consider folders that have been created via their UI which means all folders and files created outside of it (for example via File Station) doesn't get indexed and therefore will not be a part of the photo library

is there a way around this? adding your photos/folders via File Station and somehow Synology Photos will include it in its indexing system?

i'm including a screenshot here - one is what i see in Synology Photos while the other is what i see in File Station

adding photos via Synology Photos seems to do the trick but the archive is too numerous to process that way

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.28.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.28.46 AM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.28.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.28.59 AM.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 52
Hello and welcome to the forum!

My experience with Photos is different in this regard. By that, I mean that I was able to populate the /Photos structure outside of DSM and File Station (via SMB), and all the data was visible and indexed. Have you tried to run a manual reindexing option inside Photos?

thanks, i'm still considering this since i had to restart pgsql-adapter.service after encountering an error
maybe Synology Photos needs a little more time to index everything, it's currently doing that

thanks, i'm still considering this since i had to restart pgsql-adapter.service after encountering an error
maybe Synology Photos needs a little more time to index everything, it's currently doing that
It does take some time to index and show up through the UI. I’m sure it depends on how many, your type of nas, memory, processor, other processes going on at the same time.

But for sure if you add thru file station or smb it will eventually show; you don’t have to do it only thru the photos ui

Hi, I am also new here and have a similar question so I hope that you don't mind me posting here.
I moved all my files from my old WD NAS to my new DS220J.
I had my photos and videos in folders and sub folders per item.
Then I installed Synology photos and now the application is asking me to upload my photos. So how can I point this application to the photos that are already on the NAS?

Hi, I am also new here and have a similar question so I hope that you don't mind me posting here.
I moved all my files from my old WD NAS to my new DS220J.
I had my photos and videos in folders and sub folders per item.
Then I installed Synology photos and now the application is asking me to upload my photos. So how can I point this application to the photos that are already on the NAS?
You can't. You can move the content inside volume1/home/username/Photos folder structure and the platform will pick it up immediately.

Additionally, you can leave them (including subfolders ) on /photo and add this to shared space.
Add the location to the shared folders in synology photo (settings right top circle ) and use folder view.
Obviously they are shared in that case and not personal.
You can set the indexing there as well

Additionally, you can leave them (including subfolders ) on /photo and add this to shared space.
Add the location to the shared folders in synology photo (settings right top circle ) and use folder view.
Obviously they are shared in that case and not personal.
You can set the indexing there as well
Is there a preferred solution? Are there advantages or disadvantages for either solution?
My NAS is for the family so I don't need to keep the photos private.

Is there a preferred solution? Are there advantages or disadvantages for either solution?
My NAS is for the family so I don't need to keep the photos private.
Well shared space is what it says, shared. anything under /username/Photos is private and visible only to you. On top of that you can always make virtual albums from your private collection, and then share that with other dsm or outside users

Visibility is determined by the login.
in case there is a single login, the personal photo library in homes is fine.
with multiple logins, the shared solution is better, as multple users can also, add pictures.
I keep my photos in folders by year/ topic and prefer the shared setup with folder view.

Hi,

Hope it is allowed to continue in this thread?
I think I have done what was suggested but my folder structure on my NAS is looking very strange! Indexing is still ongoing after several days and is only 65% complete!

I donot understand why I have the folder home with 2 folders Photo an photos with photos apparently having something to do with Synology Photos?

The folder photo at the bottom of the list is the folder I imported from my old NAS with all my photos sorted into sub folders.

Obviously I have done something wrong but what?

By the way - just in case it is relevant - I have the Video Station application loaded on my NAS which appears to have picked up the videos in my "Video" folder and in my "photo" folder.

folder structure NAS.JPG

The /home/Photos folder is where Synology Photos looks for your Personal Space: you can see there is a special folder icon (which I didn't notice before now). I'm not sure why you have a /home/Photo folder unless you configured the Photos Mobile app. or DS file, or Synology Drive mobile app, or something else to make backups to here. It's a little hard to remember if one has lived through migrations between Photo Station, Moments, and now Synology Photos. But generally the personal album/space in /home has been photos (with a s) and the shared album/space has been /photo (no s).

Check any mobile apps and PC agent that is uploading photo backups, are they saving to the right folder hierarchy?

Regarding Video Station: open the VS web interface as an admin user, open the settings (cog icon in top-right) and configure the Library folders that you want to use. Unlike Synology Photos, Audio Station and Video Station can use any folder that is flagged as music and video in Indexing Service, they don't have to use /music and /video... if you want you can ignore them. Indeed, VS doesn't have to use all the folders tagged as video, it only uses the folders that are added to its Libraries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.