A good use for a second volume?

Currently reading
A good use for a second volume?

NAS
DS212J, DS214play, DS216, DS216play, DS414, DS918+, RS212, RS816, RS819, DS223, DS920+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
OK, so I'm a bonehead.
I have a DS414 that I use solely as a backup destination for other Diskstations, using Hyperbackup.
It had 4 3TB drives arranged on ext4 in a single SHR volume, and was running short on space. (DS414 doesn't support BTRFS.)

So I replaced the drives with 6TB drives (one by one, so as to migrate), without noticing that the maximum volume size on the DS414 is 16TB. Oops.

I found this out when inserting the last of the four 6TB drives; a message popped up and told me that maximum volume size is 16TB, and asked if I'd like to convert to multivolume. Of course I said yes, as that was my only option at that point.

So I guess what I'm going to end up with is a 16TB volume with my original data (and room for more...), and around 2TB left over that I can presumably create a second (or several) volume(s) out of. (The "missing" 6TB is of course unavailable, used by SHR for redundancy.)

I understand the availability of the new volume(s). What I lack is imagination as to how best to utilize it.

So what might be a good use to put that available 2TB of space to that specifically takes advantage of its being a separate volume? Have there been times when you've said, "I wish I had created a second volume, so I could...."

Thanks!

For what it's worth... I ran into a similar situation setting up a remotely located DS419slim (also limited to a 16TB Storage pool), while attempting to configure four 5TB HDDs RAID 0. I wound up creating a primary pool/volume with three HDDs; and a second pool/volume with a single HDD in the fourth slot. Ultimately, we used the fourth slot for swapping several HDDs and SSDs in-and-out. That is now used to import/export data and perform partial backups, as needed.

Unfortunately, I think this approach would require that you rebuild your existing pools and restore the data from a backup.

And, of course, relative to my example, it must be said... RAID 0 does not provide protection against an HDD failure. In my case, the primary volume can be restored easily - except for a small active dataset that is now backed up to the second DS419slim volume vs. an external USB drive. Caveat emptor, please.

Ron

Keeping a "spare slot" is not a bad idea at all...thanks! In the long run, I think I'll be getting 4 4TB drives for the 414, and moving the 6TB drives into something that will be able to make full use of their size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.