A problem with my backup strategy

Currently reading
A problem with my backup strategy

NAS
DS716+11, DS215j
Hi - I have a DS716+11 and currently have it mirrored nightly via ShareFolder Sync to an onsite DS215j. Both are raid 1. That part works well but when I take a 4TB disk out of the 215j and put it into a USB 3.5 caddie attached to the DS716+ the DS716+ can see the HDD in External Devices but it doesn't show up in Shared Folder so I cannot access any data. Any suggestions? I am not fixed to this way of doing things so if you have a better idea I am open to it. I also have an offsite backup. I did this because I had the DS215j and thought it might be a quick fix if the DS716 went down. - Thanks

No, I can't see the content of the DS215j HDD in File Station using the caddie. However, I can see a different HDD in File Station that I formatted in the caddie while attached to the ds716+ so I don't think the caddie is a problem.

This might be the solution - thanks bratone:
from bratone via /r/synology

Might have to get it mounted under a linux computer. And then you need to recreate md device (software raid) using mdadm (search google on how to do that) and then you mount the md device

when I take a 4TB disk out of the 215j and put it into a USB 3.5 caddie attached to the DS716+ the DS716+ can see the HDD in External Devices but it doesn't show up in Shared Folder so I cannot access any data. Any suggestions?
If you are mirroring these NAS s/ShareSync, why do you need to pull a drive from the 215j (I trust that the 215j is powered off during this time)?

You should be able to "see" the 215j from the 716+ via File Station's CIFS attachment feature.

I don't understand your objective, so it's difficult to suggest alternatives.

Thanks and you are right. I can see and access the 215j. I'm probably being overly paranoid (grin) but I was thinking that if the 716+ died then I could quickly load data onto a new DS (or new set of disks) via a USB 3 caddie I have instead of the slower option of reloading over the network.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.