Currently reading
A remote user's NAS to sync with head office

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
We have a Synology at HQ which is used by Remote Worker to access files. Using VPN means its a bit slow so an easy solution might be to give then their own Syno and have them use files locally. I think DSM will be able to synchronise changes at either end in the background.

We have a DS4 something plus in the office which does loads. Remote User will only be accessing files through their Syno so what would be a reasonable unit?

Initial thought was one of the two bay units with a couple of 2 TB drives (2TB is more than plenty for a full document sync). But I'm not clear of the sutability or difference between the value, normal and plus versions.

Recommendations?!

EDIT: According to my profile we have a DS918+ at HQ!

We have a Synology at HQ which is used by Remote Worker to access files. Using VPN means its a bit slow so an easy solution might be to give then their own Syno and have them use files locally. I think DSM will be able to synchronise changes at either end in the background.

We have a DS4 something plus in the office which does loads. Remote User will only be accessing files through their Syno so what would be a reasonable unit?

Initial thought was one of the two bay units with a couple of 2 TB drives (2TB is more than plenty for a full document sync). But I'm not clear of the sutability or difference between the value, normal and plus versions.

Recommendations?!

EDIT: According to my profile we have a DS918+ at HQ!
If it's only data access and file manipulation, a new DS223 could be more than enough. If you want to future-proof it but still stay in the 2-bay range, the new DS723+ is an excellent choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.