1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Being a Mac person but using a PC for work for years so this may be very simple: I had assumed that the ABB agent would be automatically launched on each PC reboot. I've other applications on the PC that run automatically but ABB has no preferences so there's no way I see to enable this.

Is it supposed to run automatically or am I expected to do something in Windows 10 to enable it?

I would have thought there would be a Windows service that would start automatically upon boot/login. Or at least a setting in the agent. If all those fail, the "manual" way is to create a shortcut to the agent executable and move it (the shortcut) to the Startup folder.
qhHIdCi.png

Upvote 0
s it supposed to run automatically or am I expected to do something in Windows 10 to enable it?
It will not, no. The method that @Telos mentioned works fine just like for any other custom app that you want to start.

ABB does start as a service in fact. It is just the agent that does not run. Your "pull" backups should run just fine.

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 09.23.03.png

Upvote 0
Thanks both.

I've found a quicker way to do @Telos method:
  1. In the Start menu, go to the application you want to add to the Startup folder
  2. Right-click it and select More -> Open file location
  3. It will open a folder ...\Start Menu\Progams\<you app's folder>
  4. Drag and drop a copy of the existing shortcut into ..\Startup
After googling I also found a page that mentioned Task Manager's Startup tab: ABB agent is listed as enabled. But I will check what happens in the running process list after I reboot [note to remove the manual startup shortcut for this test.

I noticed on my work PC and then the offsprings' weren't backing up for a few days. I did replace the default certificate (it is used for system services that run on dedicated ports) the other day and thought that might have caused the background agent to stop connecting: certainly my PC's agent complained about it as it connects using local IP [I have to due to work's VPN client only allowing limited split tunnelling and I use it all the time].

When youngest investigated we got a certificate message after launching the agent and checking the connection/backup. This connection was using a hostname that was covered by the certificate. In both cases opening Edit Connection and saving enabled both PCs to start working again.

I guess it's rather quiet about connection issues but failing to authenticate would be a useful alert to get. I'll have to keep an eye out to see what happens when the LE certificates are auto-renewed in a couple of months or so.

Upvote 0
I guess it's rather quiet about connection issues but failing to authenticate would be a useful alert to get. I'll have to keep an eye out to see what happens when the LE certificates are auto-renewed in a couple of months or so.
My guess would be this. The same thing is known to happen with a remote HyperBackup. If your destination is using a public name behind a LE cert, it can start to fail until you edit the source and verify the new certificate and then continue forward.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.