DSM 7.0 ABB agent says my certificate is not trusted and won't accept my login

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 ABB agent says my certificate is not trusted and won't accept my login

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I am trying to set up ABB to backup my laptop on my home network (no Internet involved). I am trying to connect using the IP address of the NAS. When I start the agent software on my laptop, I am told, "The SSL certificate of the Synology NAS is not trusted." According to the documentation, I should be able to able to use the ABB dedicated certificate, but although the certificate is enabled on the Settings page and has an expiration date 10 years in the future, I still get this message.

I click "Proceed Anyway" and then am told "The username or password you entered is not correct." But it IS correct.

At this point, I really don't know what to do. ABB worked on my previous laptop. The current laptop is a new one, to replace the old. I deleted the old backups and the old device from ABB. So this is in effect a fresh install. But it just doesn't want to work.

I am a newbie with Synology. Any help appreciated.

Have you assigned this user account with permission to use ABB? And you are using the correct LAN IP for the NAS?*

*I have three NAS and have been testing the new feature of ABB for Mac on my backup DS218+ (PCs already setup using ABB on DS1520+). Added a new Mac recently and forgot which IP was for which NAS and tried the IP for the DS215j, which of course failed. So hence the obvious question ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's the right IP address.

I have managed to get the agent working. I uninstalled the one I was trying to use, which I had downloaded from the NAS, then I downloaded the agent from Synology's "Download Center" and installed it. After a couple of tries, it accepted my password. I don't know if the software made the difference. It's inexplicable to me, really.

However, I now have another question: The agent is supposed to wake the computer from sleep at 3:00 a.m. to do the backup. However, this doesn't happen. Rather, when I wake the computer when I start work in the morning, the backup is performed.

It was the same behavior on my previous computer. Why doesn't the computer wake from sleep at 3:00 and do the backup, as it's supposed to?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Well good that it’s working now. As for waking the computer to do the backup, this isn’t what I have experienced on PC or Mac so it needs to be selected when the device is normally awake. The time schedule, to my my mind, should determine when backups can start but it also stops a running backup when the window closes. It’s not as flexible as I would like and wake from sleep is an option that should be available too.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't get what you are saying. Do your computers successfully wake from sleep to do backups? Or not? Do you mean I should just schedule the backups for when the computer will be awake? In practice, that's what happens anyway. If my computer is asleep when a backup is scheduled to begin, what actually happens is that whenever the computer happens to be awakened for some other reason, the backup begins then—and completes successfully. So, I can't really complain about that. But it would be nice if the system worked as it's supposed to.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that the certificates won’t work for ip addresses, only FQDNs. When receiving that message while using the local ip just click proceed to continue.

Another way around it is to have a FQDN which has a cert, and create a local dns record which points to the local ip of the nas. In this case the certificate will be valid and the traffic will stay local rather than going out to the internet and then back.

Upvote 0
Do your computers successfully wake from sleep to do backups?
ABB is probably using some WOL protocol. If that is the case I see you’re using a laptop, which would be wifi. Typically, unless you have a newer laptop with capability, you need a Ethernet cable plugged into the network port for WOL. Maybe try that and ensure that the network jack stays powered when off, by confirming you still see a link light. They do have wake over wifi but again probably only very newer devices.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.