Currently reading
Access Files on NAS via iOS Files App

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I feel like I'm missing something or if not I've found another glitch with DSM7...

I use VPN Server on the NAS with OpenVPN configured. I can connect to the NAS with the iOS OpenVPN client with no problem. However once connected I can't access any files on the NAS using the iOS Files app.

I've tried accessing a shared folder as:

smb://ip_address_of_the_nas
smb://ip_address_of_the_nas:5000 (sure I needed to do his previously)
smb://quick.connect.id
smb://quick.connect.id:5000
smb://nas.mydomain.com (subdomain)
smb://nas.mydomain.com:5000 (subdomain)

And none of them work! If the past prior to DSM7 I'm sure I used: smb://ip_address_of_the_nas:5000 and it worked.....

Any help is appreciated.

smb://ip_address_of_the_nas/home ?

You could also try smb://ip_address of_openvpn_server_on_nas. The NAS has a LAN IP, e.g. 192.168.0.100, but the Open VPN server on the NAS has a gateway IP of, e.g., 192.168.100.1. The OpenVPN service has its own subnet, e.g., 192.168.100.0/24 which the gateway on .1 and that's also the NAS.

Not sure why TCP port 5000 would work since SMB is TCP port 445.

I've tried from my iPhone on mobile data through the router to my DSM 7 NAS's OpenVPN. Using FileBrowser Pro iOS app I can connect using SMB and the NAS's \\nasname.local. This shows it's actually connected to the NAS's LAN IP.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I tried smb://10.8.0.1 (VPN LAN address) and got: The operation couldn't be completed. Permission denied.

That's the closest I can get. A lot of the time I get Operation not Supported. I'm wondering if it is not possible to access now I've uplifted to DSM 7.0.1-42218

So should I need to forward port 445 to the NAS? Sounds like inviting trouble?

Upvote 0
So should I need to forward port 445 to the NAS? Sounds like inviting trouble?
No, no. The SMB connection should be going through the VPN tunnel so I was confused why you'd add ':5000' to the SMB request. It should always be a LAN-only connection. But if you're going to add a port number you should use the right one. Don't open forwarding port for SMB ☠️

Have you tried stopping and starting the OpenVPN service?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Yeah I thought as much on the first. :)

Turns out it looks like I have a user issue somehow. If I use my regular normal user it fails, if I use my admin user it works. Weird.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.