NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I have the itzg-Minecraft-docker image running on my DS220+. I can access the MC server from my local network, but not from an external network. This is caused by the fact that my DS220+ is connected to a VPN server (from Nord VPN). When I disconnect from Nord VPN, access to the Minecraft server from an external network works fine.

I don't understand why it doesn't work, because I forwarded port 25565 to the DS220+, so all incoming traffic on my external IP is sent to the DS220+'s internal ip, which has nothing to do with the VPN connection. Or does it?

So do I need to change some configuration somewhere? Or is it just not possible bevause of the VPN connection.

Last edited:
If you connect to your VPN provider the external IP-address of your NAS changes.

You can easily test this from the command line:
Code:
curl https://wtfismyip.com/text

So if you connect the NAS to the VPN server and obtain an IP-address from the VPN provider, you can no longer reach it using DDNS that points to the external IP-address that is assigned without the VPN connection.

Not sure if this can be solved. Maybe with some web server configuration?

Edit:
See also DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc..

If you only need a VPN connection for certain Docker containers, you can also create a new OpenVPN client Docker container and let the Docker containers that need a VPN connection use the network stack from the OpenVPN client Docker container (using the --network option).

Upvote 0
So do I need to change some configuration somewhere?
You could try and see if Multiple Gateways option will pass the traffic in while your VPN is alive.

control panel > network > advanced settings > multiple gwt (checkbox)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.