Currently reading
Access to my NAS from my MacBookPro

NAS
Synology 223j
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello. I am new to Synology NAS. I am trying to set up my Firewall to be as secure as possible. The setting I have set to "Allow" seem to work OK but unfortunately there is something that has not been allowed that should have been as I cannot now see the NAS from my Macbook. If I disable the firewall the Mac sees the NAS and I can connect. Can anyone tell me what service etc I should allow to permit the NAS to show itself on my network? I am using a Team Folder in the NAS as the source for video editing. This works fine without a firewall but obviously this is not ideal.

I guess "my Firewall" is the firewall on the Synology?
a step by step tutorial can be found online like

There are several ways to setup this, but it really depends on your network setup.
Are all devices (like the macbook) on your own lan behind a firewall to the internet?
In that case the easiest thing is to allow all IP in the DHCP range of your network to connect to the nas.
You can also define fixed IP to the macbook, and only allow that IP
Always setup the blacklist after several wrong attempts etc.

But again, it is difficult to give secure advise without knowing your network configuration.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.