accessing network folders

NAS
ds817+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
HI

Im wondering if ....it is possible to access files from a network drive from the synology station?

obviously you can access the synology drives from a pc , but can the access be the other way around?

i have all my songs on the synology disc station and wont to transfer them to my Sony high res player that is currently mapped in my windows 10 Pc.. I would like to access it directly from my disc station.. is this possible?

CHeers!

In file station/tools you can setup connections from NAS to another device via eg smb of nfs.

Not sure it is possible to connect this PC <-> USB connected Sony hi res device, (or any other USB device).
But you can try to share the Sony as network device in W10 on your lan and see it the Synology can connect.

HI

Im wondering if ....it is possible to access files from a network drive from the synology station?

obviously you can access the synology drives from a pc , but can the access be the other way around?

i have all my songs on the synology disc station and wont to transfer them to my Sony high res player that is currently mapped in my windows 10 Pc.. I would like to access it directly from my disc station.. is this possible?

CHeers!

Your Sony USB player is unlikely to be running the SMB/Cifs client service that would be needed to connect it directly into File Station; so you need to use an intermediate device that does run SMB, like your win10 machine.

Just map a drive from the Synology to the windows PC, then transfer the files from there to your Sony player.

I'll add my agreement with the above to add a share of your Sony device from your PC . . . But -

There are a few different ways USB devices can be "mapped" to show up in Windows. I believe the method of sharing a folder on the USB device will only work if the USB device shows up in Windows with a drive letter, such as a flash drive would (using the USB Mass Storage interface). If it shows up like my old phone does (as a MPT media device) I don't know a way for your computer to present a CIFS share of it.

So if the Sony player presents you with a drive letter in Windows, you can go to the Properties window of the drive letter, or one or more of the folders on that drive, to go to the Sharing tab where you can set that up.

Then it's just a matter of going to your Synology and following the steps to connect to it:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.