NAS
DS220J
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm a new user still trying to understand how my DS220j works. I have set it up to be accessed via quickconnect and can log in on my iPad. However what I see is not quite the same as what I see on my desktop Mac.

In Filestation on my Mac I see a list of folders which includes home, homes, music, photo and video. If I open the home file I can see all the folders on the Mac that I want to have remote access to, and I can navigate my way though all the folders and open any file.

But on the ipad, if I open Shared Folders I see the same folders with the exception of home, so I can't open it to access the shared files. In fact if I try and open any of the other folders I just get a popup window which lists things like Name, Description, User Permissions, etc. - and clicking Done just closes the popup. If I select User & Group, I see a list of users and clicking on any of them just produces the same popup.

So how do I actually access all the shared files on an iPad?

Thanks,
Edward

Solution
No DS file app on iPad.
Let's unpick this a bit...

In Filestation on my Mac I see a list of folders which includes home, homes, music, photo and video
File Station is the web interface to DSM's shared folders. These same shared folders can also be accessed directly from Mac's Finder using SMB and AFP (Windows and Apple file sharing protocols). Also, Finder supports WebDAV connections via 'Go -> Connect to Server...' but let's forget this for the time being.

How are you connecting to the NAS from the Mac? Web GUI to File Station; Finder using SMB or AFP?

But on the ipad, if I open Shared Folders I see the same folders with the exception of home
How are you accessing the DSM shared folders from the iPad? DS file; another app; an SMB connection from within Apple's Files app?

[I don't have an iPad, only iPhone]

I see a list of folders which includes home, homes, music, photo and video
Back to this: by the fact you can see 'homes' it means you are logging in for normal activities using an [the?] administrator account. It is very advisable to create a standard account for your everyday use and reserve administrator accounts to admin and maintenance tasks... there is less likelihood of your NAS getting compromised through exposing an administrator password.

Only accounts with administrator rights (in the administrator group) will see the 'homes' shared folder. Within this special shared folder there is a subfolder for each DSM user account. When a users logs into DSM there will be a pseudo-folder created for them 'home' that is linked to their 'homes/<user>' folder.

What can you see?

Upvote 0
I simply used my browser and typed quickconnect.to/ and then logged in as admin. I've tried logging in as a user and managed to get into DSM (not sure why I couldn't before). I can now see the home folder and when I click into that I see the Drive folder, just as it is on my Mac. But when I open Drive I see a folder called iMac files which is empty, whereas on the iMac I see oll the folders that I'm sharing. But I'm obviously not sharing them, even though I gave my user account full rights.

Upvote 0
No DS file app on iPad.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you. I've downloaded DS file and I can now see and download all the shared files. So my problem is now officially solved.

Kind regards,
Edward

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.