Currently reading
Accessing synology ds216s from inside network

NAS
Synology 216s
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,
New to this and a little confused.
How do I access the NAS from within my network.
I can open it but only as a web browser page, I am not sure if by doing this it is outside of my network? does this pass through my firewall and is then visible outside?
Is this a potential source of entry for a cyber attack?

Also what is the best app(package?) to use for making regular incremental backups? I tried one of Synology's packages and got an invalid certificate package.
This threw me completly, again as it was in the browser it looked as though the network was open to the world.

Hi,

If you’re asking these questions, then most likely you’re accessing your DS internally.

DSM (DiskStation Manager) is a web based operating system. So that’s the proper way.
Are you using a local IP address (your DS IP) on your browser to access the DS?

Did you enable QuickConnect on your DS under Control Panel > QuickConnect?

Did you forward any ports on your router?

What are you trying to backup? Clients (PCs, Macs and mobile devices) or the DS itself?

Is this a potential source of entry for a cyber attack?
In short, yes. There are steps to protect yourself if you need access from the outside. Search the forum a bit.

Also what is the best app(package?) to use for making regular incremental backups? I tried one of Synology's packages and got an invalid certificate package.
As @WST16 asked already, be sure to be specific. What are you trying to backup here? Synology NAS can be used to backup a large number of devices, platforms, etc. Also, mention your OS if computers are in question. The more info you give the more details answers you will get.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.