blackvoid Acronis True Image Mobile - on-premise backup for your mobile device

Currently reading
blackvoid Acronis True Image Mobile - on-premise backup for your mobile device

Today I would like to focus on a nice and elegant solution to backup your mobile device and not pay anything (if you own a compatible Synology NAS that is) that you might pay with any other solutions that you might be using.

Just to keep things clear, we will talk about backing up only your mobile content, not the OS itself (like Android or iOS). Considering that data is more important then the OS itself this makes sense and on top of that having a valid backup is always important, because as I said in some of my previous articles, nobody like to do backups, but they sure love them when needed. Right?

Continue reading...

Not supported by DS218+, but is supported by DS218J?

I'd love to look at this, long-time users of Acronis products, always high quality.

Is there a side-load option if it's not officially supported?

Maybe you could... ;-)

OK, tomorrow I will have to do some reading up on virtualDSMs...something new to me. Any tips before I start screwing up my DS218+? :D

I just installed a virtualdsm on my 718+ and got the True Image to install. The only issue I had was when I launched Acronis from the virtual NAS menu, the QR code did not load. I had to edit the URL from https://192.168.*.*:5001/webman/3rdparty/AcronisTrueImage/index.html to http://192.168.*.*:5000/webman/3rdparty/AcronisTrueImage/index.html For some reason it wouldn't load with HTTPS.

Maybe you could... ;-)

OK, tomorrow I will have to do some reading up on virtualDSMs...something new to me. Any tips before I start screwing up my DS218+? :D
As @crhiles said you can load it up with VDSM. This is true for all Apollo Lake based NAS devices (718, 918 etc). It works really well, its just a shame that you would have to spend a whole VDSM license for this, but once you get vdsm up and running you can use it for other tasks as well. Personally I have it a separate VPN outbound gateway to keep my whole LAN encrypted. Just a thought.

Ah, there's a cost for the VDSM, didn't think about that. I looked on the syno site, didn't give numbers. How much is it?

So first couple of screens in VMM and I'm already in need of help. ;-)

Noticed the "ARP ignore" setting enabled. I am very vaguely aware of ARP and thought that was something you wanted to avoid generally, to "not ARP" as it were. What's going on here?

These default settings OK for what I'm doing?

2020-04-08 14_04_58-Missy.jpg

And this confused me...I don't get what it means about enabling previously disabled settings.

2020-04-08 14_05_05-Missy.jpg

I just installed a virtualdsm on my 718+ and got the True Image to install. The only issue I had was when I launched Acronis from the virtual NAS menu, the QR code did not load. I had to edit the URL from https://192.168.*.*:5001/webman/3rdparty/AcronisTrueImage/index.html to http://192.168.*.*:5000/webman/3rdparty/AcronisTrueImage/index.html For some reason it wouldn't load with HTTPS.

@crhiles & any others, what's the right choice for these settings...CPU, Memory? Will be playing with only True Image initially...

2020-04-08 16_06_17-Missy.jpg

Last edited:
OK, it's ready (I think).

Where the heck is the virtual DSM package center to load TrueImage? Lost, I'm lost.... ;-)

Man, been Googling this all over the place, even on the Synology site I can't find anything about virtual DSM. Either I'm blind, or you guys are playing a very sophisticated practical joke on me.

NVM, finally found the "Connect" drop-down on the Virtual Machine tab...DOH.

Connected up fine, didn't seem to have the same problem you had, @crhiles, I scanned the QR code and connected w/out any problems.

Kinda cool, I'm letting it back up my phone stuff right now. Seeing the Virtual DSM running in a browser like a real DSM is cool.

@Rusty is right, regarding the True image guide, because I’m one of the Acronis best experiences protagonist in this forum. I still have active Full package of True image lic., because it can help you with:
- backup of the NTFS partitions, specially when you have physical damaged blocks on the disk (you can find more here) .... this is one of the critically missed feature in Syno AB4B (any faults related to bad blocks)
- whipping out any disk by selected security standard - you don’t need make mess with drills :) or with projectile
- and many others useful features

Seeing the Virtual DSM running in a browser like a real DSM is cool
You have a completely (almost) separate DSM (NAS) under your administration now ;). You can configure it just as any other NAS and ofc, access it via all the mobile apps as well as the web, network share etc... Nice job.

Well thanks to you guys I got a free NAS that runs EVERY package. ;-)

I initially set it up w/on 80GB of space as I wasn't really sure what I would end up doing with it. I assume that I can increase that space in the future as desired, right?

I am having one odd problem - I keep getting a consistent error in the mobile app when I try to do a backup that stops my backup mid-way:

- "Wi-Fi connection lost"

Nothing else on my network is losing wi-fi, so there must be some communication issue going on between the app and the VirtualDSM. Last night when I went to bed my second try at a backup was about 2/3 complete, but stopped somewhere during the night due to this error.

The Acronis mobile app is enabled for background activity, and has no battery saving rules or other limits applied. Not sure why this is happening. Any ideas? This happened twice in a row so far.

1586447386398.png

And regarding the message below (from the i above) It seems that the Acronis app can do backups via 4G as well? How does that work - does content get sent through an Acronis server if that option is enabled? Don't want that...

1586447412323.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.