blackvoid Acronis True Image Mobile - on-premise backup for your mobile device

Currently reading
blackvoid Acronis True Image Mobile - on-premise backup for your mobile device

Today I would like to focus on a nice and elegant solution to backup your mobile device and not pay anything (if you own a compatible Synology NAS that is) that you might pay with any other solutions that you might be using.

Just to keep things clear, we will talk about backing up only your mobile content, not the OS itself (like Android or iOS). Considering that data is more important then the OS itself this makes sense and on top of that having a valid backup is always important, because as I said in some of my previous articles, nobody like to do backups, but they sure love them when needed. Right?

Continue reading...

Well then I'd appreciate it if you would please get that message and then tell me how to fix it.

Thanks.

;-)

Repeatedly getting the lost connection message after I reconnect and start a backup.

Going to set this aside for a while, maybe come back to it later.

Hey, @Rusty. Hard to say...I can't really sit and stare at it while the backup is running, it takes looooong time. :)

I have ensured the phone is plugged in during the backups, and as noted have turned off any battery saving and enabled all background processing, etc., on my phone.

The failure doesn't seem to happen quickly, as I have checked its progress off and on while the backup is progressing, but at some point when I check back the backup has always failed w/the connection error I posted.

I'll try again this AM just for the 'fun' of it. ;-)

Failed again, pretty quickly (maybe 15 minutes) but I didn't get to see it fail. Something on my phone or network it doesn't like, can't figure it. The virtual DSM page is still up and running, so it's not like the connection VDSM has been lost, and the phone is connected. I'll let this percolate in the back of my mind for a while.

The really interesting thing is the different status on the client on my computer and on the phone:

Phone says it's disconnected:

1586537652886.png

At the same time status page on laptop says it's connected:

1586537625594.png

Yeah, I keep thinking I'll have an "ah ha!" moment and laugh at myself for missing something obvious, like my hair is too long, or my house needs a tin foil hat... :D :D :D

I just installed a virtualdsm on my 718+ and got the True Image to install. The only issue I had was when I launched Acronis from the virtual NAS menu, the QR code did not load. I had to edit the URL from https://192.168.*.*:5001/webman/3rdparty/AcronisTrueImage/index.html to http://192.168.*.*:5000/webman/3rdparty/AcronisTrueImage/index.html For some reason it wouldn't load with HTTPS.
I ran into this exact same issue as well. Mine was worse because I was accessing via reverse proxy, so I couldn't easily change the http/https port. I ended up having to log into dsm directly via IP address, and then I was able to switch to http and get the QR code to appear.

Now that I have my phone linked, will I ever be needing to access the Acronis application on my NAS anymore, or is all the management done from my phone?

If I purchase the full acronis package to use for computer/phone/tablet backups down to my NAS (instead of using Activebackup for the computers), will I still need to access via http, or does the full version of the software offer more options?

My current plan is to download an Acronis backup to my local NAS, and then use Snapshot/Replicate to backup that file to an offsite NAS. Will this work?

I was accessing via reverse proxy
Why? It works only in LAN. There is no support for it via RP. You can access it via VPN to simulate your lan access and backup form a remote location but that's it.

will I ever be needing to access the Acronis application on my NAS anymore,
Only when you add a new device. That's the only purpose of this portal.

If I purchase the full acronis package to use for computer/phone/tablet backups down to my NAS (instead of using Activebackup for the computers), will I still need to access via http, or does the full version of the software offer more options?
The desktop version is completely separate from this solution and its not licensed the same way as this is (NAS version is free).

My current plan is to download an Acronis backup to my local NAS, and then use Snapshot/Replicate to backup that file to an offsite NAS. Will this work?
Yes, you can use SR package against a folder where your Acronis data is.

Why? It works only in LAN. There is no support for it via RP. You can access it via VPN to simulate your lan access and backup form a remote location but that's it.
Habit mostly. I've been working on trying to get RP set up and was already logged in via RP. That part of my post was mostly for other newbies trying to figure out why the QR code wouldn't launch.

The desktop version is completely separate from this solution and its not licensed the same way as this is (NAS version is free).
I realize the desktop version is paid, but I assumed that it'd still work with the mobile app? Will the desktop version allow for offsite backups, or do the backups still have to occur on the same LAN?

Yes, you can use SR package against a folder where your Acronis data is.
Where is the folder actually located? The Backup Destination in the mobile app just says "LOCAL-YourNAS". It doesn't specify a folder. I cannot find an Acronis folder with File Station, and I cannot find an Acronis folder in any of my user Home folders (I know it shouldn't be there, but I looked anyways.

The app says I'm successfully backed up, but I don't know where on the NAS it is backed up to.

It is always worth reading (or ask for a help) before you click
You made a really good investment into perfect backup solution from Acronis, what you have already free of charge from Syno (AB4B).
OFC, Acronis True Image (ATI), has extensive features (I like it more than 12y).
Unfortunately ATI is out of your expected scope. There isn't cover of photo backup from Smart phones, what is free of charge for everyone.

It is always worth reading (or ask for a help) before you click
You made a really good investment into perfect backup solution from Acronis, what you have already free of charge from Syno (AB4B).
OFC, Acronis True Image (ATI), has extensive features (I like it more than 12y).
Unfortunately ATI is out of your expected scope. There isn't cover of photo backup from Smart phones, what is free of charge for everyone.
I was assuming that Acronis/mobile was an extension of Acronis/desktop, but they were offering the mobile version as a free hook to lure in paid desktop customers. As a hook, I assumed that mobile would integrate with desktop, but it doesn't sound like that is the case?

AB4B works fine, but I don't like having so many backup programs (Acronis for mobile, AB4B for laptop, SR for NAS to NAS, HB for NAS to cloud). I migth be willing to pay for Acronis desktop if it could eliminate AB4B and leave me with a more continuous user interface for managing backups.

Part of the reason I'm investigating the desktop is that I'm trying to get my dad set up with a NAS, and I don't want to be overwhelming him with 4 different backup programs. He's used to running TimeMachine from his Apple to the cloud with occasional portable hard drive copies and calling it good.

As a hook, I assumed that mobile would integrate with desktop, but it doesn't sound like that is the case?
not the case

AB4B works fine, but I don't like having so many backup programs (Acronis for mobile, AB4B for laptop, SR for NAS to NAS, HB for NAS to cloud
But that covers multiple scenarios and devices. Each of those devices can’t be backed up with a single solution so you will need to utilize multiple backup tools
Where is the folder actually located?
volume1/Acronis/MobileBackupServer/acronis-local-data/

Inside you will see a proprietary format file in DB format that’s the content your are looking for

But that covers multiple scenarios and devices. Each of those devices can’t be backed up with a single solution so you will need to utilize multiple backup tools
I realize that there isn't an all-in-one solution, but I want to narrow it as much as possible. If Acronis Desktop can replace AB4B, then it is something I'll look into to try and streamline things at least a little bit.

volume1/Acronis/MobileBackupServer/acronis-local-data/

Inside you will see a proprietary format file in DB format that’s the content your are looking for

Unless it is hidden somewhere, I cannot find a volume1/Acronis folder anywhere:

1610045458021.png

Acronis Desktop can replace AB4B,
not even close looking at the whole pallet of features, but I hear you, and maybe Acronis for your limited/specific needs might be a better option

Unless it is hidden somewhere, I cannot find a volume1/Acronis folder anywhere:
SSH access, you will not see it via UI

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.