Activate hardware transcoding on Plex Docker Container?

Currently reading
Activate hardware transcoding on Plex Docker Container?

I'll try this.. How will this work when I want to update the docker-image later on with a newer Plex etc.? Do I need to do this again(?)
You could try and download the image and then use Docker UI Clear command to make a new container. It should clone the settings including the hw transcode one. If not, then yes you will have to rerun it from the command line

Last edited:
I've got an existing Synology Plex Package installed (at the moment), can this be causing this error? Or is it my previously (deleted) Plex container causing problems?

EDIT: I got this working now, I removed lots of the ports from the script below and readded them in the Docker UI in DSM and now it works! Hardware transcoding seems to work aswell so thanks alot. :)
Next step to learn, how to keep the docker-container updated properly. :)
1600364962411.png

Last edited:
Next step to learn, how to keep the docker-container updated properly. :)
For a Synology NAS Docker package, the following steps can be used to update a container image.
  1. Open the Docker application.
  2. Click on Registry in the left pane.
  3. In the search bar, type the name of the container.
  4. Select the image, click Download, and then choose the latest tag.
  5. Wait for the download to complete. A notification will appear once done.
  6. Click on Container in the left pane.
  7. Select your [Plex, for this example] container.
  8. Stop it by clicking Action->Stop.
  9. Clear the container by clicking Action->Clear. This removes the container while keeping its configuration.
  10. Start the container again by clicking Action->Start. NOTE: The container may temporarily disappear from the list while it is re-created.

Great.. How do I see if a Docker-package is newer than the one I'm acually running?
Well, you will have to visit the hub page and see the version of the image and when it was updated. Then you can use the docker command line to see the ID of your current image (something like this: sha256:8105be7b93822701de200d10d56e581f7e973a49dc16b4a654bdb78506f7c716) with the one on the hub. If they are not the same then you are good to go. Also, check the date on the hub side as well to see when the image was last updated.

Hi, this has been an interesting conversation. I do have a question about the CLI method of starting docker containers. Before I moved over the a Synology NAS, I used to create and run containers using CLI and that has worked out well. So much so that my initial containers on my NAS, I started using CLI by SSH'ing in and doing it there. Since then I have just simply gone the way of the GUI provided by Synology/docker to create and execute them. However for things like --device=, I know that you cannot use the GUI. My key question is this: If I create a container using CLI with extended options (such as --device= ... and other options), when my unit is powered down and restarts, do I have to manually start the container again with the CLI command docker run \. or if I go into the GUI for the container and start it there... or have the autorun checked, will it run with the extra commands that I had initially run/created the container with?

I guess I just don't know the relationship on how Synology's GUI works with docker....

Glenn

I go into the GUI for the container and start it there... or have the autorun checked, will it run with the extra commands that I had initially run/created the container with?
It will work just fine as long as you don’t edit it via UI. Simple start/stop, auto restart will work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.