Active Backup and VPN (how to avoid backup while connected via VPN?)

Currently reading
Active Backup and VPN (how to avoid backup while connected via VPN?)

NAS
DS107, DS209, DS210+, DS715, DS918+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Active Backup is a nice solution. I like it.
Unfortunately I have a problem which I'm not able to solve: as soon as I connect to our network via VPN, The Synology Active Backup for Business (server) thinks that I'm on LAN and start the backup task (when it is the time to do it). You can imagine that this task is not suitable for VPN connection and I do not want to run the backup while I'm connected to the LAN via VPN.

Any idea how to avoid this behaviour?
Thanks for help.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Why wouldn’t it be suitable for clients connected via vpn? Do you want that or not is a different matter entirely.

Have you tried to setup a specific time frame for backups? Maybe that way you could avoid autobackup scenarios that you are having when connecting.

NAS
DS107, DS209, DS210+, DS715, DS918+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Hi,
To do bare metal backup you need to transfer quite lot of data (10 and more GB). You can do it via VPN but it takes many hours/days (depends on the type of connection) slowing other work.

Another important reason is that when you are connectoed to VPN via mobile network, you easily run out of the data limit - taht's really annoying and expensive...

To set time is not possible simply because it is not predictable, when the notebooks ar out of the cpompany.

Any other idea how to soleve the problem?

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Valid points, no question about it. If you have devices using the mobile network not sure any of those can ever be processed and backed up using any specific rule or time table especially if they are random.
If I get an idea i’ll be sure to share it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!