DS918+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Two separate items below...
---
First - new Synology user here. My first backup using AB4B failed on a Win10 client. Multiple volumes being backed up from a single machine. Two internal drives and three usb connected drives. Error was 23. Bad block on a particular drive. Fixing that.

1) is the backup that failed usable for all the other drives that were backed up prior to the fail? Trying to use the Restore Portal it appears that none of the drives is now able to be seen in the Restore Portal. Doesn't really make sense to me based on previous experience with other backup software tools but I am new to AB4B.

2) once the error 23 is cleared from the offending drive, if the task is started again will AB4B pick up where it left off or will the entire backup process start again? This is the initial backup of this machine.

3) if the process starts again what do I do with the failed back up? Will it be removed automatically as part of the retention policy or should I delete it manually?
---
Second - other item related to backups completed successfully of other client machines...

Using a DS918+ with 4 6GB Seagate IW drives. I installed the Active Backup Agent on two clients. Created tasks in Active Backup for both. My questions is that the Active Backup directory name is not the same as the task name for the client. The directory includes the text "default" in it while the task does not. I would have thought the directory would reflect either the client naming or the task or some combination of both. Why is it that way and did I do something wrong here? Perhaps thats the default behavior but based on my research and reading that is not the case. Appreciate any thoughts here... nube making my way thru it.

task name - opti745-fmbckup

directory name - PC-OPTI745-W10-meuser-Default
---
Appreciate some insight and thanks for looking.

More info on similar situations here:

Yeah - already read that. Not super helpful and doesn't answer any of my questions. Not for the first series of questions nor for the second... Please re-read what I posted.

Last edited:
While I certainly appreciate the replies they are not getting at the questions I posed. I am a NEW Synology and NAS use. Not sure I want to be putting my data at risk with essentially beta backup software. Do I need to some how rephrase my questions above so they are more clear?

Not sure I want to be putting my data at risk with essentially beta backup software
For a Win10 system, I recommend Macrium Reflect. Just because we own a NAS doesn't require all our software to be Synology-centric. Synology software is "OK"... but not outstanding. Maybe mediocre. For me, ABB doesn't bring the level of trust and granularity I seek in a backup tool, and "mediocre" doesn't cut it.

Is this the way this forum works? Users ask questions and the provided guidance directs them away from answers?

yes this forums works. to be sure, this is free of charge services. When you expect 7x24x365 support Level 3 and detailed solution guide till 10 minutes, then you have to change service provider or pay for such service availability, whenever you will get an issue.

If you are willing to return to the calm way of debate we can continue re-scan your issue deeply and straightforward.

For better clarification of your point of view and reality:

1. You: "My first backup using AB4B failed on a Win10 client."
Q: Could you pls. write what exactly does mean?
a) failed during backup proces from Win10 to AB4B Server = the task is unfinished.
b) failed during restore process = backup was finished and confirmed by AB4B server

2. When 1. a) is the issue and you have got error code 23 from AB4B , then:
- A disk selected for backup has bad sectors, leading the backup agent to display an error when reading the block data during upload. You know it already.
You can check it by Event viewer:
- Left panel / Windows Logs
- use Filter in Right panel for "Error" events and time of the backup task
you will probably get details related to Disk Bad blocks, when:
Log name: System
Source: disk

Then you find a REASON of your unfinished Backup task by AB4B = disk drive bad blocks = and snapshots based backup don't like bad blocks.

When you don't understand how to repair bad blocks and you don't understand what is written in the @Rusty recommendation - just write it. No one is master of disk repairing methods. Don't be angry to people who would like to help you.

Rest of your questions:

Q1) is the backup that failed usable for all the other drives that were backed up prior to the fail? Trying to use the Restore Portal it appears that none of the drives is now able to be seen in the Restore Portal. Doesn't really make sense to me based on previous experience with other backup software tools but I am new to AB4B.

Answer: failed backup is unfinished backup and there isn't backup SW around the world what will help you to use unfinished backup task for a restore. No way. trust me - I know what does mean.

Q2) once the error 23 is cleared from the offending drive, if the task is started again will AB4B pick up where it left off or will the entire backup process start again? This is the initial backup of this machine.

Answer: No. Same as for Q1 - no way to continue with unfinished task due DISK DRIVE READING ERROR. No way for all others backup SWs.

Q3) if the process starts again what do I do with the failed back up? Will it be removed automatically as part of the retention policy or should I delete it manually?

Answer: the failed backup you can simple delete = when you mean unfinished backup final file. When you mean "task", then task you can leave, it will continue from beginning. There is not a system what will use unfinished backup file. Never.

-----
Your last question:
My questions is that the Active Backup directory name is not the same as the task name for the client. The directory includes the text "default" in it while the task does not. I would have thought the directory would reflect either the client naming or the task or some combination of both. Why is it that way and did I do something wrong here? Perhaps thats the default behavior but based on my research and reading that is not the case. Appreciate any thoughts here... nube making my way thru it.
task name - opti745-fmbckup
directory name - PC-OPTI745-W10-meuser-Default

Answer:
1. You can prepare several TEMPLATEs for the backup scenarios. AB4B Server console/Setup/Templates
2. There you can define, what backup task will be stored where (NAS Shared folder). Include setup of the backup scope (entire device, ...), schedule of the backup task, versioning. You can call all the template up to you. Maybe here is the source of your "default" name misunderstanding.
3. Then you can save the Template for specific task creation/usage.
4. Then you need ADD Device to AB4B - you can call it up to you - you will find this name in the Target folder (defined in the Template setup) follow this schema of the folder name:
PC - your defined computer name in "add device" - your defined name of the task
why PC = because it's chosen by Synology for better recognize of the folder structure (PC or Server)

When you will read carefully official KB from Syno you will easy setup such great service.

So still angry?

last:
- when you will use (as me) a repair SW for disk drive cloning you have to count that all the bad blocks will be cloned 1:1 to new disk from source disk drive. Yes there is an option, that some SW (my also) can clone disk w/o bad blocks. Then you have to count with errors during the new disk usage, because your new disk isn't 1:1 as the previous one.

- then is better to find the bad blocks and try to relocate the affected files from the damaged block to another health block (it's possible). Then you can simple rewrite these block with same file discovered by internet search or from most important source = your previous backup.

more about bad blocks/sectors you can find here
you need solve source of the bad blocks or change the disk drive to new one.

Wanted to apologize if the perception is that I have a "bad attitude". Not my intent. I asked specific questions in my first post. I also indicated I was a NEW user of Synology products. The guidance provided was use a beta or try something else. Not exactly what I was hoping for when, as a new user, all I was looking for is to understand how AB4B works. I am new here and want to learn and become an active participant and not project any negative attitude. Thanks.

Looks like ABB in its upcoming version 2.2 will patch this problem as also bring Linux client support.

What's new in the Active Backup for Business preview build (2.2.0)?

• Supports AES-256 data encryption and data compression at rest
  • Supports Linux backup using Active Backup for Business Agent for Linux (command line)
  • Supports migrating instantly restored virtual machines from Synology VMM back to Hyper-V or VMware

Question that was asked by @Telos got answered as well:

Q: Is ABB capable of backup when it encounters a bad sector (presently it fails)?
A: In Active Backup for Business 2.2.0, we fix this issue. The backup will not fail when encountering a bad sector. It will skip that interval.

Hope that by the time DSM7 comes out macOS support will be at least on the map...

@Rusty - saw that and submitted my information but never heard back. Appeared to me they are looking for business users and not home users. My issue was largely resolved by replacing the drive since it was old and aged.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.