Active Backup for Business - a bare metal restore problem - help appreciated

Currently reading
Active Backup for Business - a bare metal restore problem - help appreciated

As I had to send my laptop to dell for repairs, I created a full system backup. In the hindsight, it is probably a bad decision. Today the laptop returns with a new motherboard.

I booted the laptop with the usb drive I created before.
signed in the Synology and select my backup.
However, I got an error, saying "insufficient number of disks"

I saw someone from the forum had the same error message, but I didn't find a solution to it.

Here are my questions:

- Am I screwed due to the motherboard change
- Someone has indicated it's a driver issue. Am I supposed to manually load the storage driver at the beginning of the restore?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Solution
After trying a few options, I found the solution. Basically, Dell has the RAID ON setting for storage. After I changed it to AHCI/NVMe, I successfully restored the backup. Then I changed the setting back to RAID ON, and everything worked as expected.

Thank you everyone for your help.
As I had to send my laptop to dell for repairs, I created a full system backup. In the hindsight, it is probably a bad decision. Today the laptop returns with a new motherboard.

I saw someone from the forum had the same error message, but I didn't find a solution to it.

Here are my questions:

- Someone has indicated it's a driver issue. Am I supposed to manually load the storage driver at the beginning of the restore?

I cant remember the exact process, but this may be something to do with how the current disk is partitioned or how the original disk was partitioned when backed up. There should be a advanced or other options for the restore that let you choose the partitions to be restored.
Sorry its a bit vague, but I find with ABB restores its not always a one click solution.
Ill try a restore to a VM in a while when I get chance and see if I can be a bit more helpful.

Upvote 0
I cant remember the exact process, but this may be something to do with how the current disk is partitioned or how the original disk was partitioned when backed up. There should be a advanced or other options for the restore that let you choose the partitions to be restored.
Sorry its a bit vague, but I find with ABB restores its not always a one click solution.
Ill try a restore to a VM in a while when I get chance and see if I can be a bit more helpful.
Thank you for your input.

Upvote 0

Here are my questions:

ABB had a choice to recover only the boot drive I've never needed it but I have tested it, but if you can't see the HDD ~SSD it's most likely a Bios setting, I.E. UEFI~Legacy boot option, or possibly a driver issue, this is unlikely unless it's a RAID controller. I recently tried to upgrade a Dell all in one from 256Gb HDD to a 1Tb SSD, I used Samsung's drive utility and it copied all data from the source drive to the new drive, swapped out the drives and it would not boot, so I decided to install the drive and restore with ABB, and it restored all data, but the workstation again would boot after the restore, I could boot from this SSD via a USB adapter, Dell seems to think it's a Secure Boot issue with the bios, they did say turn off Secure boot then restore the data and it should work, then reenable secure boot, Unfortunately, I have not have been back to this office to try this, I will be on-site again 4/9/22 to fight this. Just a note I've upgraded and or replaced hundreds if not thousands of HDDs over the years, via Acronis, Veeam, Windows, or other backup applications or just reinstalling the OS, since I've been using ABB it has always worked except for this one instance, I do think this is most likely a Dell BIOS settings issue, and not an HDD, SSD, or ABB issue.

Upvote 0
ABB had a choice to recover only the boot drive I've never needed it but I have tested it, but if you can't see the HDD ~SSD it's most likely a Bios setting, I.E. UEFI~Legacy boot option, or possibly a driver issue, this is unlikely unless it's a RAID controller. I recently tried to upgrade a Dell all in one from 256Gb HDD to a 1Tb SSD, I used Samsung's drive utility and it copied all data from the source drive to the new drive, swapped out the drives and it would not boot, so I decided to install the drive and restore with ABB, and it restored all data, but the workstation again would boot after the restore, I could boot from this SSD via a USB adapter, Dell seems to think it's a Secure Boot issue with the bios, they did say turn off Secure boot then restore the data and it should work, then reenable secure boot, Unfortunately, I have not have been back to this office to try this, I will be on-site again 4/9/22 to fight this. Just a note I've upgraded and or replaced hundreds if not thousands of HDDs over the years, via Acronis, Veeam, Windows, or other backup applications or just reinstalling the OS, since I've been using ABB it has always worked except for this one instance, I do think this is most likely a Dell BIOS settings issue, and not an HDD, SSD, or ABB issue.
Thank you for sharing. I will research legacy bios setting and secure boot.

Upvote 0
After trying a few options, I found the solution. Basically, Dell has the RAID ON setting for storage. After I changed it to AHCI/NVMe, I successfully restored the backup. Then I changed the setting back to RAID ON, and everything worked as expected.

Upvote 0
Solution

Thanks for sharing. Your solution works!

Upvote 0
Colleagues, we have the same problem with the number of disks and system recovery, but the computer is Lenovo Ideapad gaming 3 with NVMe 512gb disk inside. These discs are terrible! There are no options in Bios as discussed above for Dell and I don't know what to do anymore. I already installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, but that too was a difficult task as the drive was not detected by the Windows installer. I think the problem is the same with the recovery, but I don't know how to solve it. Can I have some help please!
Thanks to everyone who helped!

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas and solutions. I ran into a similar problem when viruses attacked my Lenovo. I didn't keep track of what my sister was doing at the computer when she needed to write an essay. As a result, I had to restore the system from scratch.
It is a pity that it is also impossible in business to get rid of unnecessary documents. Soon I plan to open a small company and study the laws by reading articles like A Guide to Secure Document Shredding Services • Startups Geek.
It turned out that any action must be sanctioned. I hope everyone who faces this problem will be able to solve it.

Upvote 0
Happy New Year to all!
I will write how I solved my problem described above.
I turned off the Intel VMD Controller in the BIOS configuration menu. You can now restore your system or install a fresh copy of the operating system.
After the process is completed, you need to turn on the VMD controller again and only then it will be able to start your computer normally.
I hope I was helpful to someone

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.