Active Backup For Business is slow and slows down the NAS

Currently reading
Active Backup For Business is slow and slows down the NAS

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
I have two DS918+ in a high availability configuration and I backup about 20 Windows office machines to it with very low volume data (about 1GB/machine/day most of which is seemingly Windows updates).

I used global de-duplication (currently at 2.4x de-duplication rate which also strikes me as very low given that most data is just the same Windows install).

In the past year, backup transfers have become incredibly slow (<1Mb/s).

During backups, the volume utilization is at 100% which slows down every other process on the NAS, including SMB access. RAM utilization is only at around 50%.

I use RAID1. I have already limited the number of concurrent backups to 3 machines, but it's still excessively slow.

The Synology Support said the it may be due to high availability. I'm going to induce a split brain next week during rush hour and see whether that speeds things up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.