Active backup how to turn on compression and encryption?

Currently reading
Active backup how to turn on compression and encryption?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
On my backup task list it shows NO for compression and encryption. How do I turn those on?
Thanks

Im using the default template and also created a new one and "Enable data transfer compression" and "Enable Data transfer encryption are both checked but when I hit next it still says no for both.

I've noticed when installing the ABB package it will create the ActiveBackupforBusiness shared folder. This default shared folder does not have data integrity check on thus folder compression isn't turned on. We can create a new shared folder, turn on those items and then point the ABB to this new shared folder as a storage repository.

Issues with this: I've noticed some permission differences on the folder. The stock folder has local users as read only, and then system internals ABB package as read/write. It seems with the shared folder that you create (which is needed to turn on file compression at the folder level) you cannot set the folder permissions to read only for the users.

Synology should provide the option when installing the ABB package as part of the setup, do you want compression on yes or no. Once the default folder is created, you cannot turn it on afterward.

To turn on encryption for Active Backup for Business, you can't configure it on the shared folder you create. This guy walks you through it, great video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
To turn on encryption for Active Backup for Business, you can't configure it on the shared folder you create. This guy walks you through it, great video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Makes sense. I have shared folder compression turned off, and compression turned on from the ABB tasks. The only thing that caught my attention was the video said Synology stated not to turn on "Data checksum for advanced data integrity." I have this turned on for all my shared folders, including the Active Backup shared folder. Can anyone else confirm this should be turned off? I tried searching through the documentation (shared folder & active backup) and did not find any literature stating one way or the other.

-- post merged: --

Actually, looking at the PC task one more time, it is a bit confusing. Why would they have compression and encryption columns here, which are related to the shared folder and not the ABB task settings. ** This is because this folder is the default ActiveBackupforBusiness folder (I think carried over from DSM 6).

1653613639581.png

If you add a new shared folder, say ABB (or test in this example), then Compression & Encryption is available in ABB. On the shared folder creation keep encryption & compression off and let ABB handle it. Remaining question from above is data checksum ok to turn on?

1653614119829.png

The downside of using a folder that you created is the user permissions. The default ActiveBackupforBusiness folder automatically set all users to a read only permission, which is great for ransomware protection.

1653614392708.png

>The only thing that caught my attention was the video said Synology stated not to turn on "Data checksum for advanced data integrity.

My takeaway from that was that was the case for VMs. it actually gives you a warning that it’s not recommended for that. I have that toggled but I am only backing up my primary Windows PC.

Regarding the default active backup folder, isn’t it better that it sets the permissions as read only, vs creating a shared folder and having read/write?

Just following up on my last comment. Does anyone else see the permission difference between active backups system generated folder, vs creating a ABB folder yourself? The system generated folder has the default permissions set to read only. If you create your own ABB folder (which allows you to turn on encryption and compression features so that ABB can utilize), the default permissions are read/write. You also cannot set the permissions to read only.

This screenshot below is a folder I created called ABB, so that I can turn encryption and compression on within ABB. As a result of creating my own folder, I cannot set the default permissions to read only; which I would think for these kind of backups I would want read only to mitigate ransomware attacks of deleting or altering backups.

In the screenshot posted earlier in this thread, this was the system default shared folder for ActiveBackup. In that folder the permissions are defaulted for read-only, however you cannot turn on ABB encryptions & compression options for that folder.

Any recommendations on either or way?

1656648025989.png

My ABB Shared Folder is setup with R/W permissions for only two users; my main user with 2fa (local user) and ActiveBackup (system internal user). See screenshots below. Everything else is set at “No Access” and I’ve deactivated my default Admin user entirely for security purposes.
B29F54C3-84D8-49AE-AF4A-91BB7BF4BA27.jpeg
95C244F7-83A3-4F3D-9D9A-958C4AE8E559.jpeg

My ABB Shared Folder is setup with R/W permissions for only two users; my main user with 2fa (local user) and ActiveBackup (system internal user). See screenshots below. Everything else is set at “No Access” and I’ve deactivated my default Admin user entirely for security purposes.
View attachment 10124View attachment 10125
So this appears to be the default active backup folder that the Abb package created when first installed.

Abb has made enhancements in recent version updates to now include encryption and compression on the Abb tasks. If you go into Abb and look at your tasks you’ll see a column for encryption and compression and they will atm say no. In order for you to be able to take advantage of those features you need to create a new shared folder, and when you do those features can be enabled for the tasks. The downside is when you create a new shared folder to enable these new features, the permissions can only be read/write for the default admin account, whereas the package installed Abb shared folder says read only. I have that default admin account disabled as well and I use another admin account so I guess it’s not a big deal to fret over; however I haven’t checked the difference with the system internals group I will have to look at that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.