Active backup restore

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
When trying to restore a bare metal backup to a new PC I get the following error: There is not enough disk. You must have at least 1 disk.

all necessary steps you can find here. Tested, works:

shortcut:

After you have entered the BIOS menu and selected the boot order for booting recovery media, you will be directed to the welcome page of Synology Active Backup for Business Recovery Wizard. Once you have been directed to the welcome page, you can follow the steps below to start the recovery process:

• Load drivers:
  • Please click List of hardware drivers in the context menu
    context%20menu.PNG
    and click Load Drivers to install the target driver when needed. It is suggested to load and install all the necessary drivers in advance.

• Note: when you are lucky and you have such drivers from the motherboard, just use such drivers in this step.

BIOS check:
in Bios you have to see the new disk drive, when no, then:
a) SATA motherboard drivers are not properly loaded. Reboot
b) Check if you have "strange" kind of BIOS with Switch On/Off of disk detection option (check the BIOS manual)
c) Faulty or Unplugged Data Cable. Check it or replace it. When it's laptop, check it if the drive is firmly attached.
d) if the drive is HDD - check if it's spinning up from reboot
e) plug the drive into another computer, or when you have SATA/USB connector plug in to another computer by this (better way). Check it. When you don't have chance to plug this disk drive into another computer and you have mentioned Linux in your preferences - you can boot with live CD and check the problematic disk simple with Linux tools.
f) Final stage = Faulty disk drive

Just to be sure, here is useful list of commands for the Linux test:
ls -ltr /dev/sd*
find the device, then:
smartctl -H /dev/...
smartctl -a /dev/...

Upvote 0
Thanks, this is a Dell optiplex 5080 having an issue finding the drivers
Shot in the dark.. but did you ever solve the issue? Have a batch of 5080 optiplexes with the same exact issue. New WD SSD recognized in BIOS but doesn't find it in in the restore portal. Doesn't pick up NVMe either.

Upvote 0
I received this exact error when trying "Entire device restore" and "System volume restore" options of Synology Wizard.
The problem was that new PC already had existing volumes, and their size did not match backup.
The solution was to use 3rd option "Manually restore specified volumes", then map volumes manually

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.