Active Backup stalls/kills internet connection?

Currently reading
Active Backup stalls/kills internet connection?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I'm working on getting Active Backup back up and running after I haven't used it for probably 6 months. I tried running it this afternoon, and it made it through 74% of the backup, and then it stalled for hours. When it stalled, it killed the internet connection to my computer, mad DSM on the target NAS incredibly slow, and killed all other connections to the NAS (unifi controller, Surveillance Station, etc). I tried suspending the backup task to see if my internet would come back, but I got messages saying I had to log back into DSM to do that. Once I logged out, I couldn't log back in due to the connection being down. I got nervous about the whole thing and, I restarted my computer, without any improvement in the NAS. I then did a physical restart of the NAS, and now things are back up and running. The backup did fail due to an incorrect shutdown.

Did I just need to let it sit and grind its way through the data? I don't recall ever having a backup completely lock down my computer internet like that before; I literally couldn't access any forums or google or anything via my computer. I probably should have let it run, but got spooked by not being able to access anything at all.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think my network card in that laptop gave up the ghost. I can access internet from all of our other devices in the house, but I can't access it via either ethernet or wifi on the laptop I was backing up. It says that I'm connected to wifi and ethernet, but there's no internet. I can't even access items on my LAN such as my NAS from that computer, but I can from other computers. I don't believe I made any firewall changes in unifi that would have locked that pc out; the only change I made was to give it a permanent IP address.
-- post merged: --

I restarted the computer for a 2nd time this morning and now internet is up and running again. I don't know what's going on, but really starting to think my network card is starting to go bad.

because you are WIN OS runner:
this tool (link below) can give you precise information about all traffic sources/target follow your chosen NIC adapter (ethernet, wifi, vpn, ...)

you can discover/pause/kill each single traffic "eater", include kill a process + define priority + check events in event log (more accurate than standard Win EventViewer).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.