Active Business Backup and win 10 music files & deduplication

Currently reading
Active Business Backup and win 10 music files & deduplication

NAS
Synology DS 920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I think I want to use Active Backup for Business as my Windows 10 PC backup tool. 1/3 of my files are music, many have the same file name and song name, but are different versions and in some cases, the only way to know is in the file details(tags), they usually have different file dates, but they may or may not be same file size.

Should I be concerned about "deduplication" deleting the same songs but different versions? here is the description from Synology describing the "deduplication" file identification process.
Inline deduplication scans the data and deletes the duplicated blocks before it is written to a backup repository. Since this technique clears repetion backup data, it helps to reduce the requirement of storage in a respository. To identify identical blocks, this technique uses cryptographic algorithms such as SHA-256 to calculate a hash for each block, which is the divided fixed length backup data. The blocks with same hashes are considered to be identical and therefore deleted.

I am not an IT guy so the above info doesn't answer my question so I can understand: if two songs, same file name, same song title, same file length, one of them would be considered a duplicate and "deduplication"?

I think I want to use Active Backup for Business as my Windows 10 PC backup tool. 1/3 of my files are music, many have the same file name and song name, but are different versions and in some cases, the only way to know is in the file details(tags), they usually have different file dates, but they may or may not be same file size.

Should I be concerned about "deduplication" deleting the same songs but different versions? here is the description from Synology describing the "deduplication" file identification process.

I am not an IT guy so the above info doesn't answer my question so I can understand: if two songs, same file name, same song title, same file length, one of them would be considered a duplicate and "deduplication"?
Don't worry about it. Dedup will not delete your files in a conventional way. Dedup is not designed that way. DSM will still detect your near-identical files as 2 unique files. Dedup kicks in on changes on those exact files, not "similar" files that might look to your near identical.

Bottom line, don't worry about losing data in this manner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.