2. MR2200ac
  3. RT6600ax
  4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I have just received notification that Active Insight is moving from the beta (features free to test and use) phase to full service (free limited features unless you pay). [links changed to full URLs]

Active Insight is officially released, and you have entered the transition period.

To continue monitoring your hosts via Active Insight, please select a new plan within the 21-day transition period (ending on 15-09-2022 (GMT)). If not, after the end of the transition period, you will be on the Free plan with limited functionality. For detailed service statuses, refer to this document.

To centrally monitor all your hosts and experience full functionality of Active Insight, subscribe to the Premium Plan now for an early bird offer of 50% discount.

Subscribe now (50% discount)

Tip: When looking in Active Insight's Subscription web page don't click the Next button if you want to retain your beta licence until it expires. I selected Free and clicked Next only to find it had removed my beta premium features. Also, it's €19.99 (ex vat I suppose) per device per year or €9.99 with the early bird discount, for however long that lasts (first year or on renewal?).

I found AI to repeat quite a lot of CMS alerting was already providing. All the unusual time login alerts were me. Then the flurry of alerts and emails to painstakingly 'resolve' each alert ... sigh ... I'm not exactly sure what it's value is, though if you want to use it you click the box in the DSM AI package that says @Enable Active Insight for faster technical support". And Support Center says...
1661418590443.png

Maybe it's better without AI and use CMS if you have multiple NAS, and one that can run CMS?

Yeah, way too expensive and even worse RENTAL only.

Up to now Snyology DSM was the best part of Snyology NAS/ecosystem and if they plan to alienate users even more (like hardware drive locking) it's gonna force many home/small business users away from Synology to other vendors more and more..

Last edited:
Seeing that I've seen the equivalent of this in Broadcast Equipment support... Mark my words, Support will hinge upon this being activated with $$ in the future.... Initial System: Ram, Drives, Support.... It's all $$$$$$ Related, and 'Rental' is just another commodity to charge for! And again, mark my words, they will then decrease the support staff as well, siteing that income does not cover support costs! (As did: Sony, Harris, Ampex, BTS, Phillips, Davinci, Rank Cintel, RCA etc ), Then, they collapse altogether into a shell of their former selves, if they continue to exist at all. I've been down this road before!

Today I've received the prompt to update AI, went to the package center, clicked on it and uninstalled as I'm not planning to use it.
The point is not that I uninstalled it, but that I vaguely recall that the option to uninstall was not there before, maybe?

Today I've received the prompt to update AI, went to the package center, clicked on it and uninstalled as I'm not planning to use it.
The point is not that I uninstalled it, but that I vaguely recall that the option to uninstall was not there before, maybe?
It stared coming as default with DSM7

When it was first rolled out on dsm 7 there was in fact no way of uninstalling active insight, I know for sure because I explicitly looked for the option. I recently noticed the option to uninstall as well and did so as I felt the app was a major inconvenience with having to acknowledge each notification. I use CMS hopefully they keep that around, and hopefully Active insight isn’t meant as a (paid?) replacement of CMS.

hmmm... my primary reason for going NAS was to NOT use cloud services, which is really what AI is, someone other than myself with their nose in my stuff. No thanks. As for support, next time I need it will be the first time so if they plan to tie it into an AI account I guess I don't much care. Sure feels like some unwanted changes being made at the top. Of course that's probably just me...

When it was first rolled out on dsm 7 there was in fact no way of uninstalling active insight, I know for sure because I explicitly looked for the option
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming that I was not imagining things 😅

my primary reason for going NAS was to NOT use cloud services, which is really what AI
Synology is pivoting heavily towards the cloud with all their new c2 stuff. Cloud means recurring revenue.
It's something (else) to keep an eye on...

Agree with other posters:
That the Reason for a NAS is to avoid 'needing' the cloud.. In the first place!

As time progressed, and computer HDD were replaced by SSD's, HDD's after testing, became backup file locations, stored at other places or Safe's.. So the expense resulted in multiple positive benefits, in addition to multiple locations of file storage locations.... All systems also gets backed up to individual Backup packages of SSD & Bootable DVD's... also stored elsewhere.. Multiple copies, Multiple recovery systems, multiple locations......

I am very comfortable with my NOT using any cloud, and my Spending $$ to speed up existing systems, with multiple copies of data with multiple redundancies.... in multiple places... so that if any system gets damaged, files are inadvertantly deleted, or 'taken', multiple other copies or plans of recovery remain...

As slower HDD get retired... They are tested one last time, then given as 'gifts' to others.... So they backup their files as well....

So, Yes, I've spent money, but I'm comfortable with my decisions, and confidant I don't need any cloud... So it's programs like this that get un-installed from NAS's, so that the NAS CPU and RAM are freed up for things that I want to run...

Hit the uninstall button on mine too!

It won't be long before they put DSM in the "cloud", with a rental fee.
I figure most of us are capable of building our own RAID servers at that point and we can watch Syno circle the bowl... heheh. I hope it doesn't come to that as I really do like my 920+, but I remember the awesomeness of the PC revolution, breaking away from centralized control. The freedom we experienced scared the heck out of the powers that be and they've been working at putting that genie back in the bottle since. Cloud computing is simply a return to centralized control being sold as convenience and security. The constant drumbeat of danger at every website and in every email scares the masses, and the promise of cost savings draws the corporations back into the mainframe/dumb terminal mindset. Think Chromebook...

Just did a manual install of the latest dsm, unfortunately I found that active insight had been reinstalled. Seems like this is something that will revert back and install itself.

Is Active Insight offline for anyone?

I don’t really use it but Got a couple of emails this morning saying it’s now a subscription service (I only have 1 x NAS so get the freebie) but have been getting errors that say the internet is down and the NAS can’t access the server. Also don’t seem to be able to hit the insight.Synology portal, so guessing it’s crashed or offline for now?

Is Active Insight offline for anyone?

I don’t really use it but Got a couple of emails this morning saying it’s now a subscription service (I only have 1 x NAS so get the freebie) but have been getting errors that say the internet is down and the NAS can’t access the server. Also don’t seem to be able to hit the insight.Synology portal, so guessing it’s crashed or offline for now?
Same here, it said connection failed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.