NAS
DS112j, DS212j, DS216+II
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi,

I have a DS216+II running 6.2.4-25556 update 2. I have Active Insight enabled in Support Center. When I run usr/syno/bin/synopkg status ActiveInsight it says No such package ActiveInsight Status: [255]. So I run Package Center and their is no Active Insight package there. So I go to Synology downloads Download Center - DS216+II | Synology Inc. and there is no package there.

Is this supposed to work on a DS216+II running 6.2.4-25556 update 2? Everything I read says yes but I can't see how.
-- post merged: --

Well unfortunately someone on the synology forum said it won't work on my 216+II...

Thought I would provide another update that may be helpful to others:

This is the answer I received today from Synology support:

Active insight on any DSM version prior to DSM 7 only provides logs when a ticket is created, it will not show up as a host. What you are seeing is correct since it is only a host in DSM 7. For what it is worth it did work and automatically provided debug logs to the ticket without you having to manually do it.

So the basic feature of Active Insight is to facilitate Synology technical support and a by-product is the centralised web-based monitoring that's available to the NAS owner.

I'd have thought it should be the other way around. I'm getting the feeling that Active Insight may not be a wise thing to use. If you have one NAS then it's fairly easy to access it, if you have more that one then run CMS on one if you can.

For what it is worth it did work and automatically provided debug logs to the ticket without you having to manually do it.
Hmm:
  1. Which and how much of the debug log options are automatically furnished to Support?
    1. Debug logs generated by DSM's Support Center have sensitive information that people may want to sanitise, or select only salient files, before sending to Support
  2. What stops the debug logs being extracted without the NAS owner first raising a ticker?
  3. It would therefore appear that the NAS owner is not alerted when debug log have been automatically created and transferred.
In testing I've found Active Insight to just add duplicate alerts to the ones I'm already getting from CMS or the NAS's themselves. In summary, Active Insight just adds noise. The dashboards are nice but not at the expense of an always available debug log extraction tool.

@fredbert & @Telos THANKS... these were great points and I have now turned off the feature:
aid.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.