Add an HDD from an old Synology to an existing 3617xs and use the Data

Currently reading
Add an HDD from an old Synology to an existing 3617xs and use the Data

NAS
DS918+, DS3617xs
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hello,
is there a way to transfer an HDD from one Synology which was used as Data HDD (no system on it) to an existing/running 3617xs and use it right away?
Or is there just the way to copy - that would be insane to copy 10TB of data instead of just using it as it is...

Thanks for all advices and help.
Best regards

Hello,
is there a way to transfer an HDD from one Synology which was used as Data HDD (no system on it) to an existing/running 3617xs and use it right away?
Or is there just the way to copy - that would be insane to copy 10TB of data instead of just using it as it is...

Thanks for all advices and help.
Best regards
By default, all drives that as in an appliance have an OS on them. Data volume is a separate volume.

How was this drive configured in the previous device (basic, part of an array)? Also what model was it? Safe bet is to just copy the data over (guessing this drive is still in function in that previous device).

Thanks Rusty for the quick reply.
Its a Basis Volume, regular Ironwolf 10TB HDD, no RAID. The only thing that is different, its from an evaluation Xpenology I used and tried things out before getting an DS918+ and now an "real" 3617xs.
I want to avoid the read and write process on the HDD's - as you may know its not good for their health.
I assumed that I just plug the old drive in an it will be recognised, similar to the migrating from the 918 to the real 3617xs.
It shows up in the Storagemanager in the HDD/SSD Section, but nothing else :-(
If you have any hints - Thanks a lot.

its from an evaluation Xpenology
That xpenology was a VM or a bare metal install? What model did you run with xpenology? 3615?

If the drive was used as a single basic drive the. it most definitely has dsm installed on it if it was the only one in there. If you used a smaller drive along with a boot image then you might have a pure basic drive but still.

So have you tried to boot your 3617 with this drive and then detect it via Synology assistant? It is not registering it as migratable?

I have had success in the past with migration of xpenology setups into a real appliance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.