Added 2 more discs to 4-bay NAS - not initialized?

Currently reading
Added 2 more discs to 4-bay NAS - not initialized?

NAS
DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I had 2 discs in my 4-bay DS418play. Today I've added another 2, but it says Not initialized:

Do I need to do anything after adding them?

Have you added your new disks to the existing storage pool?
Not sure if I understand all this right. I had 2 discs from the start, Now I've added another 2 to have 4 of them. I guess I need to expand the volume?

Actually, that first link you gave me is what I want. To expand storage and have RAID 5 (or SHR) if one of my drives fails I have a backup.

Ok. I've not had hands-on experience with multiple storage pools (my NAS are 2-bays), but expect you could either grow your current 2 disk storage pool with the new disks or create a new 2 disk storage pool. That was my 2nd question. The screenshot you posted looked like you were creating a new volume.

I thought you were wanting to grow your 2 disk SHR to a 4 disk SHR, hence the questions and hopefully the links can get you sorted out.

It's my first time too. Yes, I want to expand the volume. Not sure what benefit would I have with 2 volumes.

Thank you for links. Sorry, I could've searched that knowledge base myself...

Not sure what benefit would I have with 2 volumes
There must be something, different filesystems / separating data for a reason like backups.

I spent days unpartitioning my iMac's internal disk and associated backups. It originally came with a 250GB disk so upgrading I kept the boot partition like that and a second 750GB data partition, all because of existing backup disk sizes. Decided to merge it back to a single 1TB SSHD. There's less day-to-day management with one big partition vs shuffling files around.
Thank you for links. Sorry, I could've searched that knowledge base myself
I can drive google searches like a pro!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.