Added 2 more discs to 4-bay NAS - not initialized?

Currently reading
Added 2 more discs to 4-bay NAS - not initialized?

NAS
DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I had 2 discs in my 4-bay DS418play. Today I've added another 2, but it says Not initialized:

Do I need to do anything after adding them?

Have you added your new disks to the existing storage pool?
Not sure if I understand all this right. I had 2 discs from the start, Now I've added another 2 to have 4 of them. I guess I need to expand the volume?

Actually, that first link you gave me is what I want. To expand storage and have RAID 5 (or SHR) if one of my drives fails I have a backup.

Ok. I've not had hands-on experience with multiple storage pools (my NAS are 2-bays), but expect you could either grow your current 2 disk storage pool with the new disks or create a new 2 disk storage pool. That was my 2nd question. The screenshot you posted looked like you were creating a new volume.

I thought you were wanting to grow your 2 disk SHR to a 4 disk SHR, hence the questions and hopefully the links can get you sorted out.

It's my first time too. Yes, I want to expand the volume. Not sure what benefit would I have with 2 volumes.

Thank you for links. Sorry, I could've searched that knowledge base myself...

Not sure what benefit would I have with 2 volumes
There must be something, different filesystems / separating data for a reason like backups.

I spent days unpartitioning my iMac's internal disk and associated backups. It originally came with a 250GB disk so upgrading I kept the boot partition like that and a second 750GB data partition, all because of existing backup disk sizes. Decided to merge it back to a single 1TB SSHD. There's less day-to-day management with one big partition vs shuffling files around.
Thank you for links. Sorry, I could've searched that knowledge base myself
I can drive google searches like a pro!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back