Adding a new HDD into DS1813+ DSM7.1.1 doesn't show

Currently reading
Adding a new HDD into DS1813+ DSM7.1.1 doesn't show

NAS
DS1813+
I just bought a 12TB Seagate Ironwolf to add to 3x existing 12TB Ironwolf Pros... into my DS1813+.

I've slotted it into my Synology NAS, and it just won't recognise it. I've tried it in different bays and the result is the same. In Storage Manager > HDD/SDD > Logs within DSM, it simply shows "the system detected that drive reset command has failed" as shown in the screenshot I've attached. Sadly, no amount of searching the internet and this forum can get to the bottom of it!

I bought it on ebay (with healthy SMART test), and the seller confirms "It was plugged in to a synology nas and powered once. No config was done at all to the drive. I pulled it out and put it in an external bay to pull up the disk info for a photo for ebay. Nothing else" + "Plug it in to a desktop and try format or re-volume the drive first".

Unfortunately, I have no PC or external caddy to try this, so left unsure what to do. Somebody must have had this before?

Could anybody offer any support please?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-26 170903.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-26 170903.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 696
You didn't share the model number... Be sure the drive is SATA, not SAS.

Borrow one if you must, and test the drive using its OEM diagnostic software. SMART results alone are not helpful.

Otherwise, return the drive to the seller.
Thanks for your reply @Telos. I decided to send it back for a refund after the drive was eventually discovered by the Synology (after a couple of restarts), but then wouldn't initialize in any way. Sad times, but thanks for the advice on OEM diagnostic software!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.