Adding an additional drive question

Currently reading
Adding an additional drive question

I have one drive in my DS718+. I want to add a second drive, which will be the exact same size and model, and set up RAID 1.

As I have never done something like this before, is there anything I should be aware of?

Here is the current configuration:

6bQBOwq.png

Your storage pool is already configured with SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) which means if you add a second disk then it will be added to this. The updated pool will still be SHR but will now have '1 disk redundancy' which is equivalent to RAID 1.

I'd say you're lucky because there have been quite a few people putting in a second drive to their default build NAS and wondering why they now have a mirrored RAID with the same storage size as before, whereas what they wanted was to double the storage and stay on non-resilient disks.

Follow the Synology help pages and use Storage Manager to do the upgrade. The data mirroring will happen as part of the upgrade.

Just make sure your new disk is the same as the current one.

Your storage pool is already configured with SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) which means if you add a second disk then it will be added to this. The updated pool will still be SHR but will now have '1 disk redundancy' which is equivalent to RAID 1.

I'd say you're lucky because there have been quite a few people putting in a second drive to their default build NAS and wondering why they now have a mirrored RAID with the same storage size as before, whereas what they wanted was to double the storage and stay on non-resilient disks.

Follow the Synology help pages and use Storage Manager to do the upgrade. The data mirroring will happen as part of the upgrade.

Just make sure your new disk is the same as the current one.

Thank you for looking over it. Yes, the second drive will be the exact same model and size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.