adding directories to photostation

Currently reading
adding directories to photostation

so - I have found a way to sync my photos to my nas... so I have them turning up in directories like photos/2012/01/x.jpg.

Even though it's just a backup - I thought it might be nice to have photo station expose them all.... so I installed photo station - created an album - deleted the album directory and replaced it with a symlink to the above backup. Its definitely wired up correctly, because I can _add_ a photo in photostation and it appears inside my backup - but I can't find any way of making it notice or index those files. Anyone have any idea?

Last edited:
I have exactly the same issue. I decided to copy the photos over to the NAS because uploading them through the Synology Photos WebUI was extremely slow. I think it was indexing each photo as it was being uploaded so the upload speed was about 1/40th of just transferring over SMB. Now I've moved the photos into /photo - but the indexing hasn't kicked in.
-- post merged: --

Maybe this will work: Media Indexing | DSM - Synology Knowledge Center
-- post merged: --

I also found a 're-index' button in Synology Photos > user icon in top right > settings > Personal tab > (page down to see re-index button)

Ah yes, I'd missed that. I'm on DSM7 and using Synology Photos. You say you're on DSM7 too, but my shared folder is /photo not /Photos ... probably unimportant.
I just found that I have to move photos into /photo using File Station in order that they get indexed. I've been using 'sortphotos.py' in a Docker container to sort my photos first into the directory structure I wanted. As it was sorting them it was moving them directly into /photo ... but Synology Photos isn't detecting them being moved there. I guess I'll just need to sort them elsewhere and use File Station to move them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.