Currently reading
Adding USB storage to a DS218j - newbie questions

NAS
DS218j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
A couple of years ago I finally decide to buy a NAS unit for my home PC and that of my wife to back up appropriate files/folders, some of which are decades old. I also wanted to store copies of photographs and other documents that were accumulating on cameras and Google Drive etc. Some of this was redundant, but I wanted to have at least two copies of everything.

After a bit of research I purchased a Synology DS218j box and added two good 4Tb drives.

I must admit being a bit daunted/amazed by the size and scope of the software provided to handle the NAS and am still not really familiar with it all. An amazing package!

In my initial searching I learnt (and noted) that one could expand the NAS by adding a USB drive to the DS218j. Just recently I was warned that my drives were full, but knowing I could expand the NAS I purchased a 12Tb external USB drive and added it to the NAS. AOK to this point. It’s there as usbshare1. Then I went searching for a way to add this new drive to the space being used for backup. I am probably stupid, but could not find a way to do so. I know I can cut/copy and paste folders from the 2x4Tb storage to the external drive, but this is not what I want to do. I simply want to have this new space available for backup without having to intervene.

I HAVE searched but to date can’t seem to find whether I can actually do what I want to do (or how to do it)'

I guess an alternative might be to shuck the external drive and swap the 12Tb and a 4Tb drive. That should overcome the space issue for my final decade though I have no idea how I’d handle it software-wise, retaining/using the backups I already have.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions. I sue hope I am not as naïve as I sound.

Thanks folks.

vwq47

How do you mean "add it to the backup" ? Do you mean add it to the total pool of storage that's setup as a RAID volume?
So the USB storage can't be part of the RAID I don't think.
If you want to get that added to part of the RAID volume I'm fairly sure you need to have 2x12tb drives, replace them one at a time and after each one wait for the RAID to rebuild before putting the next one in (otherwise you will kill your data!)

But don't do anything just yet, maybe double check your RAID config and post it here so people can make sure about the exact procedure to do without losing data.

Also, it wasn't clear, but is the synology an extra copy of the data or the only copy of the data? For sure what you mentioned about having at least 2 copies is the way to go.

Adding a USB drive to the NAS is like adding a USB drive to a PC. It's there, but fully not part of the system, and there is no redundancy protection associated with the USB drive.
I guess an alternative might be to shuck the external drive and swap the 12Tb and a 4Tb drive.

Not clear at all on what you mean, but let me share some concerns... If you swap the 12TB disk for one of the 4TB disks, anything that is stored on the 12TB disks will be overwritten.

You didn't tell us how the 4TB drives are configured, but if they form an SHR pool/volume, replacing one 4TB drives with a 12TB will not increase your storage capacity. If SHR, both drives must be 12TB.

If your system is other than SHR, tell us, as swapping drives with other formats could destroy files on both the 12TB drive and the 4TB drives.

I know I can cut/copy and paste folders from the 2x4Tb storage to the external drive, but this is not what I want to do. I simply want to have this new space available for backup without having to intervene.
The only way you can utilize your new NAS in this way is by using the HyperBackup app to create a backup task from your existing 2x4TB volume onto this 12TB drive. So instead of copy-paste from your existing volume to this drive, you can use HB.

Everything else was already said regarding swapping drives

Thanks folks, I appreciate your replies and have learnt much of what I didn't know!
To answer questions:
Yes, I did mean add it to the total pool of storage.
I do have two copies of everything in the backup.
There is nothing on the new drive.
The two 4Tb drives are configured as SHR.
OK now, it looks like HyperBackup is the way to go for me now that all your answers have pointed my eyes in the right direction!
I'm unlikely to lash out for another 12Tb drive at the moment. I suppose I COULD put it in as a single drive in the NAS and maybe add another later. I'll have to think on that one.

Thanks folks for the helpful/directive/instructive input.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.