Question Additional DDSM licenses?

Currently reading
Question Additional DDSM licenses?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Ok. I gave up!

I was trying to add another DDSM instance on Docker to try emby and Plex in a sandboxed environment that I can dispose of when done.
It's asking for a license key now. While when I created the first one where I'm running the vpn gateway it didn't ask for it and added one free unlimited license by itself.
Now when I click add license it says I must enter a key!

Am I supposed to buy this key somewhere?
A quick DDG search returned sellers selling surveillance station camera license keys. No DDSM keys!

Virtual DSM is another thing. You also have one free lic for it as well. So you could run dsm in a virtual machine manager as well for free.

Regarding new docker lics, guess you could ask support for any pointers on the matter. They should be listed on that same link as well

Thanks @Rusty. I gathered that much too, but my DS doesn't support virtual machines.

I'll try to have a chat with them. Usually when I go on their site the chat thing is teasing me. Now when I need them, it's nowhere to be found (maybe because it's Sunday).

I need one more DDSM to use for all my testing if I can. I hope they don’t say go to a brick and mortar shop to buy it!

Had a chat with them and after a long wait he said:

“It appears the single free license is the only one available for DDSM. Licenses are no longer sold for that. Instead the Developers are pusing VDSM instead.”

He suggested that I open a ticket and ask but “no promises”.

I opened a ticket and told them that I desperately need one and that my DS doesn’t support VDSM. I also told them that I’m very active on the forum and that I like it soooo much :)

I was trying to add another DDSM instance on Docker to try emby and Plex in a sandboxed environment that I can dispose of when done
Just had another read of your post. Having another ddsm for this is not needed. You can run Plex in Docker directly, no need to have another dsm and then push Plex via that.

Linuxserver plex image is great and works just fine.

Actualy each layer of abstraction creates overhead. I would recommend to use a containerized plex as well. Though, the official plex image is also not that terrible, as it was created with the help of the linuxserver guys (if I remember properly)

DDSM contradicts heavily with the "one service per container" approach. Though, so does running containers in a dind. Sometimes "the crazy" is just about right ;)

Of course, what was I thinking :(
Their reply.
———

Thank you for the support of DDSM license. Unfortunately, DDSM license has reached the end of its product lifespan and can't be purchased anymore. This is done to consolidate our internal development resource. As you know, the alternative is vDSM license if on applicable DiskStation models. vDSM is run on Virtual Machine Manager, a package which enables virtual machines to run on Synology NAS.

If you have any additional, non-activated DDSM license at hand, we can exchange it to vDSM license. Please provide your proof of purchase and DDSM license. And we’ll provide the vDSM license as soon as possible.

EOL for ddsm? Damn, now only thing that's left is for them to kill DSM support via docker :S. Guess this is good info for me in the long run as well, considering I will need some more DSMs. Best to turn to vDSM them. Tnx for the share @WST16

Just checked the UK price of VDSM licence: £148 ex vat. You could get a single bay NAS and small disk for that, and for some and depending on the hardware requirements of what you want to run/test this might be a better option!? Especially if it's going to be a single use appliance.

Just checked the UK price of VDSM licence: £148 ex vat. You could get a single bay NAS and small disk for that, and for some and depending on the hardware requirements of what you want to run/test this might be a better option!? Especially if it's going to be a single use appliance.
Agree. But if one is running an RS or FS model and you offer multi-tenant solution this is not a terrible price.

Agree. But if one is running an RS or FS model and you offer multi-tenant solution this is not a terrible price.
Indeed, and why I prefaced it with 'for some and depending on the hardware requirements' :)

In some environments then £148 will be equivalent to nothing vs operational costs, so spinning up a container or VM will be the best option. For others having a separate device may be better/acceptable/understandable/separate/leave alone and don't touch, even on a rack tray.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.