AdGuard Home | Host or macvlan?

Currently reading
AdGuard Home | Host or macvlan?

Telos

Subscriber
NAS
DS418play, DS213j, DS3622+, DSM 7.1.4-11091
Somehow my Docker AdGuardHome (AGH) container began malfunctioning, so I decided to blow it all away and start over.

Originally I created a macvlan network, so that AGH would have its own IP. But on this go-round, I went for a host network install, and so my new AGH set up now uses my NAS IP.

I'm curious what, if any, trade-offs exist between using the host network and creating a macvlan network. The former is dirt simple to set up, and seems fully functional.

Any experiences or thoughts y'all have to share on this?

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Host mode here. 0 problems since day one. Just updated it today and working fine as always. Can't comment on macvlan because I saw no need for it.

macvlan here! Running it for almost two years now and never had any problems. In DNS Server pointing the subdomain to the macvlan ip and using the subdomain to login on the admin page.

Hostmode is slightly faster, as no bridging is invovled. Then again macvlan is way faster than docker bridge networks (which are actual nat'ed isolated networks; portmappings are nothing else then portforwarding rules)

macvlan by design "suffers" from a kernel security limitation that prevents macvlan client interfaces to communicate directly with the host. Though, it's possible to introduce a virtual interface and use it as parent device for the macvlan client interfaces to workound that limitation. Those virtual interface are out of docker's scope and needs to be created everytime the nas reboot. I am sure someone here already shared a "scheduled task" command that does the trick.

Telos

Subscriber
NAS
DS418play, DS213j, DS3622+, DSM 7.1.4-11091
macvlan here! Running it for almost two years now and never had any problems. In DNS Server pointing the subdomain to the macvlan ip and using the subdomain to login on the admin page.
Hay Bob, Why did you choose macvlan? Just curious, as I initially "chose" it only due to an installation procedure I was following.

I chose macvlan because I already have a DNS Server running on the nas and this would conflict with AdguardHome ports. To be honest, I don't know how AdguardHome would work if I had chosen "host" with a DNS Server already running, as I haven't tested this. I know I could change the ports in the Docker GUI setup, but I like to keep them clean and neat:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.